all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com>
To: Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org>
Cc: Emacs developers <emacs-devel@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: warnings and window-point
Date: Fri, 22 Nov 2019 09:43:43 +0100	[thread overview]

No, I don't propose to change it, at least not now. The problem I had that
led me to study this I fixed locally with some advice.

It's just curiosity, because I really don't understand the intent;
particularly, the fact that the point is in the second warning is really
weird.

> > Perhaps the idea is to keep past warnings visible until the user
scrolls the buffer themself

Yeah, it's just that... As a justification isn't very good, because the
buffer is autoscrolled if warning-series is set to non-nil. So it's like
yeah, let's not move it, except in some cases we do. And warning-series is
surely intended to be set by the application code generating the warnings,
not the user, so when it does scroll, it doesn't do so under the user's
direction or control.

I honestly think that's really an oversight no one has either detected or,
more likely, cared about until now because warnings.el doesn't get (I
think) much use.

So I'd like to try the patch above in the trunk after we branch for 27,
just to see if someone complains.