On Thu, Oct 17, 2019 at 8:02 PM Stefan Monnier wrote: > > Just to be clear: this is a typical bikeshed subject. Definitely. > So far, AFAIK most of the code and docstrings use nil/non-nil, AFAICT > (which is why we're all familiar with the notion of "non-nil" as > a matter of fact) and as a maintainer I've made an effort to try and > standardize on this, e.g. by fixing docstrings which overspecified the > return value to `t`. There's a cascading effect. Some functions with multiple non-nil return values rely on other functions's declared boolean result to construct their own. So I think functions that can only return a boolean are not "overspecified" by saying so. YMMV. > The most important thing is to try and choose one and stick to it, both > for the benefit of consistency and to avoid back-and-forth > cosmetic changes. FWIW, I don't consider making a function return what its docstring says "a cosmetic change".