all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting the background colour of a buffer or window
@ 2013-06-16 13:32 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-06-16 13:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

There still apparently isn't a way to set the background colour of a
buffer (or a window)?  You have to set the background colour of the
entire frame?

For eww, it would be really, really nice if it were possible to set the
background colour of the buffer.  That would be much more natural than
putting the background colour over every character in the buffer with
text properties.

Although while writing this, I now see that I could probably just do
exactly that in eww, since eww commands the entire buffer.  Probably not
for shr, though.

So, er, uhm.  Well, it would be nice in general to have that
functionality, even though eww probably can do without.  :-)

Is there any chance of that being added?

* Re: Setting the background colour of a buffer or window
@ 2013-06-16 13:52 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-16 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

On Sun, Jun 16, 2013 at 3:32 PM, Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org> wrote:

> There still apparently isn't a way to set the background colour of a
> buffer (or a window)?  You have to set the background colour of the
> entire frame?

You can do something like

  emacs -Q
  c-x 2
  c-h N
  c-x o
  M-: (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist) <RET>
  M-: (push '(default (:background "blue")) face-remapping-alist) <RET>

So you have a different default background for the buffer (not the window).

See doc of `face-remapping-alist'.

* Re: Setting the background colour of a buffer or window
@ 2013-06-16 21:07   ` Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen
From: Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen @ 2013-06-16 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Juanma Barranquero; +Cc: Emacs developers

Juanma Barranquero <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

>   M-: (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist) <RET>
>   M-: (push '(default (:background "blue")) face-remapping-alist) <RET>

Oh, that's a very clever solution.  Yeah, that should work.

* Re: Setting the background colour of a buffer or window
@ 2013-06-18  9:57   ` Jambunathan K
From: Jambunathan K @ 2013-06-18  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs developers

> You can do something like
>
>   emacs -Q
>   c-x 2
>   c-h N
>   c-x o
>   M-: (make-local-variable 'face-remapping-alist) <RET>
>   M-: (push '(default (:background "blue")) face-remapping-alist) <RET>
>
> So you have a different default background for the buffer (not the
> window).

A non-geeky version of it will be

1. M-x customize-variable RET buffer-face-mode-face RET
2. M-x buffer-face-mode RET

* Re: Setting the background colour of a buffer or window
@ 2013-06-18 10:02     ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-06-18 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jambunathan K; +Cc: Emacs developers

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Jambunathan K <kjambunathan@gmail.com> wrote:

> A non-geeky version of it will be
>
> 1. M-x customize-variable RET buffer-face-mode-face RET
> 2. M-x buffer-face-mode RET

Nice, I didn't know there was a user interface.

* Re: Setting the background colour of a buffer or window
@ 2013-07-04  8:13 ` Vitalie Spinu
From: Vitalie Spinu @ 2013-07-04  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

 >> Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <larsi@gnus.org>
 >> on Sun, 16 Jun 2013 15:32:21 +0200 wrote:

 > For eww, it would be really, really nice if it were possible to set the
 > background colour of the buffer.  That would be much more natural than
 > putting the background colour over every character in the buffer with
 > text properties.

Face remap is a generic way to achieve this sort of things:

   (face-remap-add-relative 'default :background "pink")

Vitalie