On Wed, Dec 21, 2022 at 3:22 PM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > Our policy and practice was since long ago that any package which is > always or almost always loaded at startup without any user say-so, > should be preloaded, since not doing that makes very little sense. We don't have precise metrics for "always or almost always loaded at startup", I think. But cl-lib is unconditionally required by 191 files under lisp/, right now. Including things like desktop, help-fns, help-mode, kmacro, imenu, tab-line and package, among many others. And of course vc, Calc and Org. And use-package, which will perhaps become the de facto way to customize their .emacs for many people.