all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs 24.3.50.1 subword mode adds comma to modeline
@ 2013-04-15 21:04 Chris Poole
From: Chris Poole @ 2013-04-15 21:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've noticed that subword-mode defines:

    (define-minor-mode subword-mode
        "..."
        :lighter " ,"
        (when subword-mode (superword-mode -1)))

The result is a comma in my modelines, separating the major mode and
minor modes. I don't think it was this way in Emacs 23.x, which I used
to be using. Is there a reason it's changed? Seems annoying to see a
comma in the modeline...

Cheers,
Chris Poole

* Re: Emacs 24.3.50.1 subword mode adds comma to modeline
@ 2013-04-16 14:17 ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-04-16 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Poole; +Cc: Emacs Help List

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 11:04 PM, Chris Poole <lists@chrispoole.com> wrote:

> Is there a reason it's changed? Seems annoying to see a
> comma in the modeline...

Most minor modes use a lighter to show that they are active. In this
case, I suppose the change is to help distinguish between subword-mode
and the new superword-mode.

Anyway, you can remove it from your .emacs:

(let ((entry (assq 'subword-mode minor-mode-alist)))
  (when entry (setcdr entry '(nil))))

or set '(nil) to '(" sw") or whatever you like.