all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#16150: Emacs not deleting lock files when system-name is set to nil
@ 2013-12-14 20:11 Micky
From: Micky @ 2013-12-14 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 16150

When setting system-name to nil (should that be allowed?), Emacs forgets
how to delete the lock files '.#.*' and all subsequent startups complain
about lockups by old dead PIDs.

From what I get, either system-name should not be allowed to set as nil or
file locks should be still deleted on exists because they still have
usernames in the aliases.

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.2)
 of 2013-08-07 on -mnt-storage-buildroots-staging-x86_64-eric

* bug#16150: Emacs not deleting lock files when system-name is set to nil
@ 2013-12-14 20:22 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-12-14 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Micky; +Cc: 16150

Micky wrote:

> When setting system-name to nil (should that be allowed?), Emacs forgets
> how to delete the lock files '.#.*' and all subsequent startups complain
> about lockups by old dead PIDs.

I think this is a "don't do that, then".
If Emacs fails to set system-name, that is a bug.
If you actively set system-name to nil, that's just shooting yourself
in the foot.
Why did you want to do that, and what made you think it would work?

* bug#16150: Emacs not deleting lock files when system-name is set to nil
@ 2013-12-14 20:25   ` Micky
From: Micky @ 2013-12-14 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glenn Morris; +Cc: 16150

Ehh.. just because one could do that? And setting it to nil shoots no
errors during the --init. This gives enough assumptions, I believe ;)

@ 2013-12-14 20:32     ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-12-14 20:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Micky; +Cc: 16150

Micky wrote:

> Ehh.. just because one could do that? And setting it to nil shoots no
> errors during the --init. This gives enough assumptions, I believe ;)

You can do a lot of strange things with Emacs.
You could rebind M-x to ignore, have fun if that's what you want to do. :)

* bug#16150: Emacs not deleting lock files when system-name is set to nil
@ 2013-12-14 20:38       ` Micky
From: Micky @ 2013-12-14 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 16150

@ 2013-12-14 20:39       ` Micky
From: Micky @ 2013-12-14 20:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: 16150

The importance of 'M-x' is significant.
I don't see any rudimentary usage of 'system-name' while one edits file or
even plays games. Does it really need to be aware of 'host-name'? Let's be
honest, if host-name is that important to Emacs, why did I get everything
working except the lock file deletions?

@ 2013-12-15  1:19         ` Juanma Barranquero
From: Juanma Barranquero @ 2013-12-15  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Micky; +Cc: 16150

On Sat, Dec 14, 2013 at 9:39 PM, Micky <mickylmartin@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let's be
> honest, if host-name is that important to Emacs, why did I get everything
> working except the lock file deletions?

Quite likely because you didn't really test *everything*. So it's a
ticking time bomb.