all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* reddit (was: Re: ediff question ...)
       [not found] <mailman.2080.1430445013.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-05-01  2:10 ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-05-01  2:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> Try asking at http://emacs.reddit.com/ the folks
> there are more into fancy packages like ediff than
> people are here.

Are there a lot of interesting stuff going on there?

Did anyone do an Emacs or Gnus interface to reddit?

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: reddit (was: Re: ediff question ...)
@ 2015-05-01 19:33   ` Robert Thorpe
From: Robert Thorpe @ 2015-05-01 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:
>
>> Try asking at http://emacs.reddit.com/ the folks
>> there are more into fancy packages like ediff than
>> people are here.
>
> Are there a lot of interesting stuff going on there?

Not very much.  Tuhdo posts there (he posts here too sometimes), his
stuff can be quite interesting.  For example, he posted a package to
compare directory trees yesterday.

There seem to be a lot of ex-Vim people there, lots of people using Evil
and Spacemacs.  Packages from Melpa & Marmalade seem very popular.

> Did anyone do an Emacs or Gnus interface to reddit?

I think they did but I haven't tried it.

BR,
Robert Thorpe

* Re: reddit (was: Re: ediff question ...)
       [not found] <mailman.2156.1430508800.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2015-05-02 17:48 ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2215.1430592463.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-05-02 17:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Robert Thorpe <rt@robertthorpeconsulting.com> writes:

> There seem to be a lot of ex-Vim people there, lots
> of people using Evil and Spacemacs. Packages from
> Melpa & Marmalade seem very popular.

You are like an explorer who seek out new tribal
islands and then try to explain them to your tribe
back home...

I didn't know there was a migration from Vim (or
infiltration one should say with Evil and Spacemacs).
But they are welcome, of course!

As for M&M packs that gold rush never caught my
enthusiasm. I think I use less then five packs all in
all, most of them ELPA. I just never had problems that
would require such radical steps to be solved...

But I know some people react instinctively positively
to new things. I on the other hand always compare them
to the old things. And most often the old things are
no worse. But to be entirely unaware of new things is
perhaps a disadvantage (almost) as big...

--

@ 2015-05-02 18:47   ` Artur Malabarba
       [not found]   ` <mailman.2215.1430592463.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-05-02 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On May 2, 2015 6:48 PM, "Emanuel Berg" <embe8573@student.uu.se> wrote:
> As for M&M packs that gold rush never caught my
> enthusiasm. I think I use less then five packs all in
> all, most of them ELPA. I just never had problems that
> would require such radical steps to be solved...
>
> But I know some people react instinctively positively
> to new things. I on the other hand always compare them
> to the old things. And most often the old things are
> no worse. But to be entirely unaware of new things is
> perhaps a disadvantage (almost) as big...

There are some new things that do things that just aren't offered by old
things. They're just different. These are almost always worth checking out.

I don't mean an upgraded major mode with more features, or a new completion
method (God knows how many of those we have around).
I mean things like expand-region, Magit, or sx. Of course, these are just
my preferences, and to each their own.

I'm curious as to what you mean by radical steps? Is that referring to
adding Melpa/Marmalade to your archives?

@ 2015-05-02 19:09     ` Emanuel Berg
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2289.1430729067.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-05-02 19:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> There are some new things that do things that just
> aren't offered by old things. They're just
> different. These are almost always worth
> checking out.

If I'm unaware of the "problems", they don't really
qualify as problems, do they?

Trust me, I can identify a bottleneck when I see it
and I don't need new software makers to help me
detect them.

> I don't mean an upgraded major mode with more
> features, or a new completion method (God knows how
> many of those we have around). I mean things like
> expand-region, Magit, or sx.

OK then, what do they do?

> I'm curious as to what you mean by radical steps?
> Is that referring to adding Melpa/Marmalade to
> your archives?

No, the radical steps would be to hunt packs as a way
of solving problems instead of just using the old
tools that have solved thousands of problems and
continue to do so every day of the week, tools that
are tweaked and adopted and have stood the test
of time.

No, I know how some people talk. They get enthusiastic
about new software. Did you try that? What version do
you have? In this piece of software I like that, but
in this, I like that - I'm considering switching to...
and so on. To me that tells me they are not really
craftsmen. I never saw carpenters get extatic about
hammers and nails. A sound interest for tools is not
the same as treating it as some hyped commodity,
turning yourself into a consumer and not a producer or
even seasoned user (as you'd "switch" too often for
that to ever happen).

Try the new Emacs Ultra - up to 75% more efficient!

--

@ 2015-05-04  8:44       ` Artur Malabarba
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2289.1430729067.904.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-05-04  8:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emanuel Berg; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>> There are some new things that do things that just
>> aren't offered by old things. They're just
>> different. These are almost always worth
>> checking out.
>
> If I'm unaware of the "problems", they don't really
> qualify as problems, do they?
>
> Trust me, I can identify a bottleneck when I see it
> and I don't need new software makers to help me
> detect them.

I disagree that one can /always/ identify all bottlenecks, but I agree
that the number of bottlenecks you don't identify tends to decrease as
we become more experienced. So yes, I guess I mostly agree. :)

>> I don't mean an upgraded major mode with more
>> features, or a new completion method (God knows how
>> many of those we have around). I mean things like
>> expand-region, Magit, or sx.
>
> OK then, what do they do?

I'm really not here to advocate and advertise, you can Google them if
you're curious (or not, I won't mind ;-). I was just trying to
exemplify that some packages are not about “being better than the old
thing”.

>> I'm curious as to what you mean by radical steps?
>> Is that referring to adding Melpa/Marmalade to
>> your archives?
>
> No, the radical steps would be to hunt packs as a way
> of solving problems instead of just using the old
> tools that have solved thousands of problems and
> continue to do so every day of the week, tools that
> are tweaked and adopted and have stood the test
> of time.

I see. Thanks for clarifying.

@ 2015-05-04 18:25         ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2015-05-04 18:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm really not here to advocate and advertise, you
> can Google them if you're curious (or not, I won't
> mind ;-). I was just trying to exemplify that some
> packages are not about “being better than the old
> thing”.

The good thing about the package approach is that
Elispers who are all creative and active with their
stuff have a natural place to stash it so other people
can find it, give comments, etc. - perhaps there can
be, or is, an Elisp (Lisp) culture around all that.

So much of all that isn't good/general enough to ever
be included in Emacs but it isn't bad/obscure enough
to rot on a single persons HD either.

So it is a good compromise :)