all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* GNU Elpa Theme (ahungry-theme) - should I add code to auto load-theme it?
@ 2015-01-30 21:47 Matthew Carter
From: Matthew Carter @ 2015-01-30 21:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: emacs-devel

Currently it works as expected in GNU Elpa (for installing), however it
requires the user to include something like this in their init:

(add-to-list 'custom-theme-load-path
             "~/.emacs.d/elpa/ahungry-theme-1.0.3/")
(load-theme 'ahungry t)

Which isn't as bad when they had to explicitly install it from my
github, as they were sure to read the README and see those lines are
required to be manually entered.

With an install via GNU Elpa though, I think that directory is going to
be changing with the version number of the package, so it would require
constant updates to the user's init.

Should I update the package to do some or all of the following? (or
would the theme be too aggressive if so):

  1) Add itself to the user's custom-theme-load-path
  2) Load itself via load-theme

If either, anyone have a suggestion?

I see Elpa packages have an autoload file generated which adds the
package to the load-path - is there a package meta tag/comment to do the
same for custom-theme-load-path?

I personally would expect a theme I pulled in via package-install to at
least do #1, and if I were new to emacs, I'd probably expect it to do #2
as well.

--
Matthew Carter (m@ahungry.com)
http://ahungry.com