On 6 Nov 2015 9:47 am, "Rasmus" wrote: > > John Wiegley writes: > > >>>>>> raman writes: > > > >> You could do this seamlessly by attaching an around advice to message and > >> having that call alert > > > > Advice is only to be used by user code, not in core. It's the "last line" of > > customization, but shouldn't be a programming style for developers. > > A rgrep on the lisp dir suggests that add-function is used 60 places. > AFAIK, one of the intentions of nadvice is to easily attach new functions > to "places", also in core. But I could easily be wrong. add-function is about modifying function variables (i.e., places that are actually supposed to be configurable). It is not about advices. I believe you're thinking of add-advice.