all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: branch scratch/check-declare created (now ed9b018)
       [not found] <20150214103858.2021.44503@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2015-02-14 15:18 ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-02-14 15:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oleh; +Cc: emacs-diffs, emacs-devel

I'm not sure if others will agree with me, but when you're fixing or adding
something to a scratch branch I think it's best to just keep pushing
commits to it (as small as they may be) instead of recreating the branch.
Deleting and recreating a branch produces a bit of noise on the emacs-diffs
list, while pushing small commits makes it much easier to see what's
actually been done.

The whole point of scratch branches is that their commits are not final, so
you can push tiny commits without having to write changelog entries for
them. Then you only cleanup the branch once, just before merging it into
master (that's when you make sure every commit has a changelog entry, etc).
I think that makes it easier for everyone. Less work for the developer that
doesn't need to keep recreating the branch, and less work for everyone
who's trying to keep track of what's been changed in the branch.

Artur
abo_abo pushed a change to branch scratch/check-declare.

        at  ed9b018   check-declare.el: Use compilation-style warnings

This branch includes the following new commits:

       new  3d0ac0f   check-declare.el (check-declare-ext-errors): New
defcustom.
       new  ed9b018   check-declare.el: Use compilation-style warnings

* Re: branch scratch/check-declare created (now ed9b018)
@ 2015-02-14 15:58   ` Oleh Krehel
From: Oleh Krehel @ 2015-02-14 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Artur Malabarba; +Cc: emacs-diffs, emacs-devel

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

> I'm not sure if others will agree with me, but when you're fixing or
> adding something to a scratch branch I think it's best to just keep
> pushing commits to it (as small as they may be) instead of recreating
> the branch. Deleting and recreating a branch produces a bit of noise
> on the emacs-diffs list, while pushing small commits makes it much
> easier to see what's actually been done.
>
> The whole point of scratch branches is that their commits are not
> final, so you can push tiny commits without having to write changelog
> entries for them. Then you only cleanup the branch once, just before
> merging it into master (that's when you make sure every commit has a
> changelog entry, etc).
>
> I think that makes it easier for everyone. Less work for the developer
> that doesn't need to keep recreating the branch, and less work for
> everyone who's trying to keep track of what's been changed in the
> branch.
>
> Artur
>
> abo_abo pushed a change to branch scratch/check-declare.
>
> at ed9b018 check-declare.el: Use compilation-style warnings
>
> This branch includes the following new commits:
>
> new 3d0ac0f check-declare.el (check-declare-ext-errors): New
> defcustom.
> new ed9b018 check-declare.el: Use compilation-style warnings

Makes sense to me. I'll try to do this from now on. I just got too used
to `git push --force` on by github account; overwriting scratch branches
is close to that.

Oleh