all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Feature request: notify user of updates to installed packages
       [not found] <591EAB83-06E0-4280-97EB-A9AA799710FD@cs.ubc.ca>
@ 2015-11-29  3:37 ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2015-11-29  3:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Feature request from a user:

Can we automatically show a note (in the echo area) to notify the user when a Packages (ELPA/MELPA etc) package is installed, but a newer version is available?  Can they then be semi-automatically updated?

Begin forwarded message from David Poole <poole@cs.ubc.ca>:

> I had changed the Python mode, and then forgotten that I had, and had no idea where it was. Is there a way to have non-default customizations updated? I get notified if aquamacs updates but not when one of the customizations is updated?

* Re: Feature request: notify user of updates to installed packages
@ 2015-11-29 12:52   ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-29 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-devel

An automatic notification is a feature I've been meaning to add. But
it would have to be an opt-in minor-mode. I believe it would not be
nice for Emacs to silently "call home" without the user requesting.

@ 2015-11-30 13:53     ` Ted Zlatanov
From: Ted Zlatanov @ 2015-11-30 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On Sun, 29 Nov 2015 12:52:57 +0000 Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> wrote:

AM> An automatic notification is a feature I've been meaning to add. But
AM> it would have to be an opt-in minor-mode. I believe it would not be
AM> nice for Emacs to silently "call home" without the user requesting.

I think it should be in a first-class menu item under "Options" near
"Manage Packages" (or make a "Packages" menu under "Options") so it's
really easy to discover and enable this option. I can think of very few
instances today where I wouldn't want it enabled.

Ted