all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#22055: Some Elpa packages don't provide a feature
@ 2015-11-29 19:34 Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2015-11-29 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 22055

The following Elpa packages do not provide a feature: `ada-ref-man',
`transcribe', and `uni-confusables'.  I believe all packages should
contain a library which provides the appropriate feature.

`transcribe' additionally violates many other conventions.  The various
section headers lack the space after the semicolons.  Not a single
symbol is properly prefixed or documented.  It should probably be
removed.

`load-relative' also doesn't provide its feature using `provide', but
that is intentional - it uses the alternative `provide-me' form, which
it itself defines.  I cannot really see what's so great about being
able to write `(provide-me)' instead of `(provide 'the-feature)', but
some people obviously thought it that was a good idea.  Anyway, should
`load-relative' itself really use `provide-me'?

* bug#22055: Some Elpa packages don't provide a feature
@ 2015-11-30  9:57 ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-11-30  9:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 22055

On 29 Nov 2015 7:34 pm, "Jonas Bernoulli" <jonas@bernoul.li> wrote:

> The following Elpa packages do not provide a feature: `ada-ref-man',
> `transcribe', and `uni-confusables'.  I believe all packages should
> contain a library which provides the appropriate feature.
>
> `transcribe' additionally violates many other conventions.  The various
> section headers lack the space after the semicolons.  Not a single
> symbol is properly prefixed or documented.  It should probably be
> removed.

I believe Stefan fixed the lack of a provide. And the author has been
notified of other issues as well.

> `load-relative' also doesn't provide its feature using `provide', but
> that is intentional - it uses the alternative `provide-me' form, which
> it itself defines.

I can't see the benefit but I also can't see the harm. Did it affect you
negatively in any way?

* bug#22055: Some Elpa packages don't provide a feature
@ 2015-12-03 14:34   ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2015-12-03 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: 22055

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

>> `load-relative' also doesn't provide its feature using `provide', but
>> that is intentional - it uses the alternative `provide-me' form, which
>> it itself defines.
>
> I can't see the benefit but I also can't see the harm. Did it affect you
> negatively in any way?

No, I just cannot mirror it on the Emacsmirror, but that does not really
matter because I also could not mirror any other package which uses
`provide-me'.  I extract metadata for all mirrored packages, including
the provided features, and the respective code does not support
`provide-me'.  I don't intend to support that form until at least halve
a dozen packages use it.

* bug#22055: Some Elpa packages don't provide a feature
@ 2015-12-03 15:41     ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-12-03 15:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 22055

> Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> `load-relative' also doesn't provide its feature using `provide', but
>>> that is intentional - it uses the alternative `provide-me' form, which
>>> it itself defines.
>>
>> I can't see the benefit but I also can't see the harm. Did it affect you
>> negatively in any way?
>
> No, I just cannot mirror it on the Emacsmirror, but that does not really
> matter because I also could not mirror any other package which uses
> `provide-me'.  I extract metadata for all mirrored packages, including
> the provided features, and the respective code does not support
> `provide-me'.  I don't intend to support that form until at least halve
> a dozen packages use it.

Well, I couldn't find a package Gelpa or Melpa that uses it. So I
think it's not really a big deal either way. =P

* bug#22055: Some Elpa packages don't provide a feature
@ 2015-12-12 19:36       ` Jonas Bernoulli
From: Jonas Bernoulli @ 2015-12-12 19:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: bruce.connor.am; +Cc: 22055

Artur Malabarba <bruce.connor.am@gmail.com> writes:

>>> I can't see the benefit but I also can't see the harm. Did it affect you
>>> negatively in any way?
>>
>> No, I just cannot mirror it on the Emacsmirror, but that does not really
>> matter because I also could not mirror any other package which uses
>> `provide-me'.  I extract metadata for all mirrored packages, including
>> the provided features, and the respective code does not support
>> `provide-me'.  I don't intend to support that form until at least halve
>> a dozen packages use it.
>
> Well, I couldn't find a package Gelpa or Melpa that uses it. So I
> think it's not really a big deal either way. =P

Yeah, I'll deal with it when the need arises.

* bug#22055: Some Elpa packages don't provide a feature
@ 2015-12-12 20:34         ` Artur Malabarba
From: Artur Malabarba @ 2015-12-12 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonas Bernoulli; +Cc: 22055-done

Closing the bug then.