all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Current documentation of current emacs patch-submission procedures?
@ 2020-07-05 16:07 Ken Manheimer
From: Ken Manheimer @ 2020-07-05 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel@gnu.org

Hi! After a long while since submitting patches (for allout.el and related
stuff) I have a few new ones to submit, and am trying to track down
canonical guidance on proper procedures for submitting them. (This was
spurred by bug@11312 <https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11312>,
but I have some fixes for independent bugs as well.)

Traversing a maze of twisty passages (all vaguely similar) I found my way
to Sending Patches
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Sending-Patches.html>,
which describes a process that seems like what I used to do. But I'm
perplexed when it comes to the part that mentions "commit log" with links
to Change Log
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Change-Log.html>
(and
Change Log Concepts
<https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Change-Log.html#Change-Log>
in
a few ways!), seemingly interchangeably, particularly because the
lisp/Changelog.* files in my current checkout of the git repository (with
new commits from yesterday, for instance) have no updates since Emacs 24.3,
as far as I can see.

I'm guessing that I should put the equivalent of what would have been in
the ChangeLog in the commit messages, but thought I'd ask here for proper
guidance. I welcome pointers to documents I missed that would have made
this simpler, as well!

Ken

* Re: Current documentation of current emacs patch-submission procedures?
@ 2020-07-05 16:23 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2020-07-05 16:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ken Manheimer; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Ken Manheimer <ken.manheimer@gmail.com>
> Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2020 12:07:47 -0400
>
> Hi! After a long while since submitting patches (for allout.el and related stuff) I have a few new ones to
> submit, and am trying to track down canonical guidance on proper procedures for submitting them. (This
> was spurred by bug@11312, but I have some fixes for independent bugs as well.)
>
> Traversing a maze of twisty passages (all vaguely similar) I found my way to Sending Patches, which
> describes a process that seems like what I used to do. But I'm perplexed when it comes to the part that
> mentions "commit log" with links to Change Log (and Change Log Concepts in a few ways!), seemingly
> interchangeably, particularly because the lisp/Changelog.* files in my current checkout of the git repository
> (with new commits from yesterday, for instance) have no updates since Emacs 24.3, as far as I can see.
>
> I'm guessing that I should put the equivalent of what would have been in the ChangeLog in the commit
> messages, but thought I'd ask here for proper guidance. I welcome pointers to documents I missed that
> would have made this simpler, as well!

Yes.  Try reading CONTRIBUTE in the repository, I hope it is less
confusing.  You can also look at the style of commit log messages with
"git log".

Thanks.

* Re: Current documentation of current emacs patch-submission procedures?
@ 2020-07-05 16:35   ` Ken Manheimer
From: Ken Manheimer @ 2020-07-05 16:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel@gnu.org