all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-02-09  8:46 Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-02-09  8:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi all,

I'm running Emacs 25.3.1 on Slackware Linux 14.2 and `M-x
package-refresh-contents` is giving the following error:

Failed to verify signature archive-contents.sig:
Bad signature from 474F05837FBDEF9B GNU ELPA Signing Agent
<elpasign@elpa.gnu.org>
Command output:
gpg: Signature made Fri 08 Feb 2019 10:15:04 PM GMT using DSA key ID 7FBDEF9B
gpg: BAD signature from "GNU ELPA Signing Agent <elpasign@elpa.gnu.org>"

I don't recall changing anything in my config recently. Just to see if
that was causing a problem, I did remove my config (.emacs and
.emacs.d), but the problem persisted.

Any ideas about what's causing this?

Thanks,

Nicky Chorley

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-02-10 12:40 ` Robert Pluim
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Pluim @ 2019-02-10 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicky Chorley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Nicky Chorley <nick.chorley@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm running Emacs 25.3.1 on Slackware Linux 14.2 and `M-x
> package-refresh-contents` is giving the following error:
>
> Failed to verify signature archive-contents.sig:
> Bad signature from 474F05837FBDEF9B GNU ELPA Signing Agent
> <elpasign@elpa.gnu.org>
> Command output:
> gpg: Signature made Fri 08 Feb 2019 10:15:04 PM GMT using DSA key ID 7FBDEF9B
> gpg: BAD signature from "GNU ELPA Signing Agent <elpasign@elpa.gnu.org>"
>
> I don't recall changing anything in my config recently. Just to see if
> that was causing a problem, I did remove my config (.emacs and
> .emacs.d), but the problem persisted.
>
> Any ideas about what's causing this?

My crystal ball says youʼre using http to download the archives. Try
switching to https.

If that solves it you have a broken proxy somewhere between you and
the package archive server.

Robert

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-02-10 15:05 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-02-10 15:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I'm running Emacs 25.3.1 on Slackware Linux 14.2 and `M-x
> package-refresh-contents` is giving the following error:
>
> Failed to verify signature archive-contents.sig:

FWIW, the build scripts on elpa.gnu.org can occasionally end up with
a stale .sig for a short amount of time (known problem that we should
fix, obviously, but not high enough on the todo list), so maybe you just
got unlucky.

In any case, please report those problems via `M-x report-emacs-bug`.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-03-09  6:52 ` Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-03-09  6:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I tried switching to HTTPS for the GNU ELPA repository as well, but
that didn't help either and I'm still getting the error. Again, just
clearing my .emacs.d doesn't help. Is there another cache somewhere
that I should try clearing, or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Best,

Nicky

@ 2019-03-09  7:57   ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2019-03-09  7:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicky Chorley, help-gnu-emacs

I had problems with that earlier too.
It was because I didn't have the latest tls package installed.
This didn't used to be necessary but now appears necessary.

@ 2019-03-09 20:15     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-03-09 20:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> It was because I didn't have the latest tls package installed.
> This didn't used to be necessary but now appears necessary.

I don't know of any `tls.el` package other than a very old one that
should be considered deprecated nowadays (and still comes bundled with
Emacs in `lisp/obsolete/tls.el`).  The SSL/TLS handling in Emacs
nowadays is handled by the libgnutls code, so it doesn't require any
Elisp package.  If that doesn't work well for you please `M-x
report-emacs-bug`.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-03-09 20:34       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2019-03-09 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Monnier, help-gnu-emacs

I should have been more transparent, the tls package I installed came
from the slint repository not any part of emacs.

On Sat, 9 Mar 2019, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2019 15:15:56
> From: Stefan Monnier <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca>
> To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU
>     ELPA Signing Agent
>
> > It was because I didn't have the latest tls package installed.
> > This didn't used to be necessary but now appears necessary.
>
> I don't know of any `tls.el` package other than a very old one that
> should be considered deprecated nowadays (and still comes bundled with
> Emacs in `lisp/obsolete/tls.el`).  The SSL/TLS handling in Emacs
> nowadays is handled by the libgnutls code, so it doesn't require any
> Elisp package.  If that doesn't work well for you please `M-x
> report-emacs-bug`.
>

>         Stefan

* usenet
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2019-04-01 16:49 ` qqk8
From: qqk8 @ 2019-04-01 16:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Don't look this. I'm newbie and I don't know English and how to use usenet.

* Re: usenet
@ 2019-04-01 22:03   ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2019-04-01 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

qqk8 wrote:

> Don't look this. I'm newbie and I don't know
> English and how to use usenet.

Priviet!

First, your English is good enough. Second,
this isn't Usenet. There were once a thriving
Usenet group called gnu.emacs.help (which still
exists) - actually, there were/are many
Emacs-related groups on Usenet. However I would
not recommend them to anyone.

Now there is a mailing list
(help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org) and with Gmane, you
can access it thru gmane.emacs.help *as if it
was a Usenet newsgroup*!

The reason for all this is, in terms of
technology Usenet is great, but the people just
got worse and worse. When all that remains are
insults and off-topic chatter the reasonable
people moved away, which of course just made
the Usenet situation worse. Now, there are so
many spammers and flamers and people who tell
their personal senile stories over and over so
Usenet has really ceased to be useful, despite
its name.

Some groups are better than other, but this is
the general trend, and it is a broad one.
Since very, very few new people come to Usenet,
the situation isn't likely to improve - on the
contrary.

Also, even if you are are person who aren't
like "them" - if you spend too much time with
them, that's who you will be, sooner or later,
no matter how strong you are. It is inevitable.

If you want to try the real deal, i.e. the old
and still existing Usenet, be very wary when
entering a group. What is the mood here?
Is this really a place I like? And don't for
a minute think that *you* can influence the
rest of the gang by being
polite/professional/whatever. Just leave at the
first insult! It is not going to get better -
on the contrary...

That is why most people prefer the mailing list
(listbot) approach. But if you are attracted to
the Usenet interface/architecture, check out
Gmane, which I like to call Usenet 2.0 or
"Usenet Reloaded". It is the best of both
worlds :)

--
underground experts united
http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-13  7:25     ` Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-06-13  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Well, I upgraded GnuTLS to 3.6.7 (the latest in Slackware's repos),
but nothing changed. I also tried building the latest version of Emacs
(26.2) just to see if it made a difference, but it didn't.

I also realised that my version of GnuPG 2 is quite old, but don't
know what else is using that. So, I just tried
package-refresh-contents on Emacs 26.2 on a Fedora 30 install (albeit
inside a Docker container), which has a much newer version of GnuPG 2
(2.2.13). The same problem occurred.

This is extremely frustrating!

@ 2019-06-13 12:23       ` Van L
From: Van L @ 2019-06-13 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

│
│ I also realised that my version of GnuPG 2 is quite old, but don't
│ know what else is using that. So, I just tried
│ package-refresh-contents on Emacs 26.2 on a Fedora 30 install (albeit
│ inside a Docker container), which has a much newer version of GnuPG 2
│ (2.2.13). The same problem occurred.
│
│ This is extremely frustrating!

Is the 'gnu-elpa-keyring-update' package any help?

The blurb says,

This package updates the GPG keys used by the ELPA package manager
(a.k.a `package.el') to verify authenticity of packages downloaded
from the GNU ELPA archive.

© 2019 Van L
gpg using EEF2 37E9 3840 0D5D 9183  251E 9830 384E 9683 B835
           "you have to be Albert Einstein to figure it out" - Donald J. Trump

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-22  7:26 Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-06-22  7:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: van, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Van,

I've only just seen your message.

I installed the gnu-elpa-keyring-update package as you suggested
(albeit manually, with "M-x package-install-file", since the
instructions listed on the project page didn't work (it seems they're
for a different version of gpg than what I have). The package didn't
seem to have much documentation, so I wasn't sure if I needed to do
anything after installing it. In any case, just running "M-x
package-refresh-contents" after installing it showed the same problem.

Best,

Nicky

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-22 13:04 ` VanL
From: VanL @ 2019-06-22 13:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicky Chorley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On 22 Jun 2019, at 17:26, Nicky Chorley <nick.chorley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I installed the gnu-elpa-keyring-update package as you suggested
> (albeit manually, with "M-x package-install-file", since the
> instructions listed on the project page didn't work (it seems they're
> for a different version of gpg than what I have). The package didn't
> seem to have much documentation, so I wasn't sure if I needed to do
> anything after installing it. In any case, just running "M-x
> package-refresh-contents" after installing it showed the same problem.

May be you need to locate your gpg program and put it in .emacs like

(setq epg-gpg-program "/usr/local/bin/gpg2")

May be you need to update your gpg.

It would be neat to have a thing that checklisted all your certificate handling components are working correctly.

My be you could point eww to the https address for the packages and see if your emacs can get thru to there.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-22 16:15 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-06-22 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I installed the gnu-elpa-keyring-update package as you suggested

Good.  This package is useless right now but will be needed by the end
of the summer when we switch to the new keys, so it's good that you
installed it.

> (albeit manually, with "M-x package-install-file", since the
> instructions listed on the project page didn't work (it seems they're
> for a different version of gpg than what I have).

The instructions are for the case where you can't install the package.
I'd be interested to know how they failed for you, so I can try and
improve the information I give there.  Can you email me the details?

> The package didn't seem to have much documentation, so I wasn't sure
> if I needed to do anything after installing it.

No, there should be nothing more to do other than installing it (and
updating it every few years).

> In any case, just running "M-x package-refresh-contents" after
> installing it showed the same problem.

Of course: the bad-signature problem is something different.
There was a bug that shows exactly this symptom, which we have fixed in
the upcoming 26.3.  Could you try the 26.2.90 pretest to confirm that it
fixes the problem for you?

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-23  4:50   ` Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-06-23  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VanL; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sat, 22 Jun 2019 at 14:04, VanL <van@scratch.space> wrote:

> May be you need to locate your gpg program and put it in .emacs like
>
> (setq epg-gpg-program "/usr/local/bin/gpg2")
>
> May be you need to update your gpg.
>
> It would be neat to have a thing that checklisted all your certificate handling components are working correctly.
>
> My be you could point eww to the https address for the packages and see if your emacs can get thru to there.>

The version of gpg2 on Slackware is quite old, so I tried the
following .emacs on Fedora 30 (which has a much newer gpg2) running
inside a Docker container

(setq epg-gpg-program "/usr/bin/gpg2")
(setq package-archives '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))

but no joy.

Is there a way I can get Emacs to tell me how it's downloading the
file and how it's running gpg2 to verify it? I'd like to try the same
outside Emacs to see if I can reproduce the problem.

In any case, I found this bug:
https://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=35534, so maybe we just
have to wait and see what the maintainers find.

Best,

Nicky

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-23 11:50     ` VanL
From: VanL @ 2019-06-23 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicky Chorley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On 23 Jun 2019, at 14:50, Nicky Chorley <nick.chorley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> (setq package-archives '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")))

At the top of my .emacs is the following...

(package-initialize)
(setq package-archives '(("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
			 ("org" . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")
			 ("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")))

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-23 14:19       ` Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-06-23 14:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VanL; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Putting

(package-initialize)

at the top didn't help either (and FWIW I copied and pasted the whole thing).

Also, I tried

$  wget https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/archive-contents{,.sig} && gpg2
--homedir ~/.emacs.d/elpa/gnupg/ --verify archive-contents.sig

... wget output omitted for brevity...

gpg: assuming signed data in 'archive-contents'
gpg: Signature made Sun 23 Jun 2019 10:10:02 AM BST using DSA key ID 7FBDEF9B
gpg: Good signature from "GNU ELPA Signing Agent
<elpasign@elpa.gnu.org>" [unknown]
gpg:          There is no indication that the signature belongs to the owner.
Primary key fingerprint: CA44 2C00 F917 74F1 7F59  D9B0 474F 0583 7FBD EF9B

So, it seems that gpg2 can verify the signature perfectly well.

Best,

Nicky

@ 2019-06-23 18:21       ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2019-06-23 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VanL, Nicky Chorley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Before (package-initialize) you need (require 'package).

@ 2019-06-24  8:13         ` VanL
From: VanL @ 2019-06-24  8:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicky Chorley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On 24 Jun 2019, at 00:19, Nicky Chorley <nick.chorley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So, it seems that gpg2 can verify the signature perfectly well.

You could try renaming your .emacs file and .emac.d directory so that they won't be used.  Then see if you are able to install the 'which-key' package on Emacs 26.1 or 26.2 or 27.  There are different ways to load packages.  You could try a different way by following a techtube howto guide.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-24 12:49         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-06-24 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Before (package-initialize) you need (require 'package).

package-initialize is autoloaded, so I don't see why you'd need that here.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-24 12:50         ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2019-06-24 12:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Putting
> (package-initialize)
> at the top didn't help either (and FWIW I copied and pasted the whole thing).

Of course it didn't.  Did you try 26.2.90 like I recommended?

> So, it seems that gpg2 can verify the signature perfectly well.

Yes, the problem is most likely the one we fixed in 26.2.90 (i.e. Emacs
messes up the bytes along the way).

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-24 18:58         ` Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-06-24 18:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: VanL, help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 at 19:21, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@panix.com> wrote:

> Before (package-initialize) you need (require 'package).

Sadly that did not help either.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-24 19:00           ` Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-06-24 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: VanL; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 09:14, VanL <van@scratch.space> wrote:
> You could try renaming your .emacs file and .emac.d directory so that they won't be used. Then see if you are able to install the 'which-key' package on Emacs 26.1 or 26.2 or 27.

I've gone through various iterations of removing those and renaming
them and that hasn't helped in any case :(. Still can't install
packages.

> There are different ways to load packages.  You could try a different way by following a techtube howto guide.

I've found out about el-get, straight.el and others, so I'll give one
of them a go.

Thanks.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-24 20:38           ` Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2019-06-24 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicky Chorley; +Cc: VanL, help-gnu-emacs

I used the (add-to-list code to add elpa and melpa in my .emacs file and
that may be working.  Why the code in emacswiki shown above the
(add-to-list doesn't work I don't know.  I could add melpa but not elpa if
melpa got added first.  If I tried adding elpa first it appears as if the

(package-initialize)
(setq epg-gpg-program "/usr/bin/gpg2")
(add-to-list 'package-archives '("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
'("gnu" . "https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/"))
package failed on that refresh attempt and melpa was never refreshed. On

@ 2019-06-25 10:26             ` VanL
From: VanL @ 2019-06-25 10:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicky Chorley; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> On 25 Jun 2019, at 05:00, Nicky Chorley <nick.chorley@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On Mon, 24 Jun 2019 at 09:14, VanL <van@scratch.space> wrote:
>> You could try renaming your .emacs file and .emac.d directory so that they won't be used. Then see if you are able to install the 'which-key' package on Emacs 26.1 or 26.2 or 27.
>
> I've gone through various iterations of removing those and renaming
> them and that hasn't helped in any case :(. Still can't install
> packages.

I was able to install which-key and hyperbole from the gnu-package source but org on 26.1/openbsd-6.5 stopped unexpectedly and I had to use the org-package source directly.

On 26.2/netbsd8.1 I can't update the package list.  The final message says 'error in process sentinel: End of file during parsing' and the *Messages* buffer says...  and this is possibly due to inconsistency in the pkgsrc versions of components yoyoing between 8.0 and 8.1 and experimental current.

Importing package-keyring.gpg...done
error in process sentinel: Error retrieving: https://melpa.org/packages/archive-contents "incomprehensible buffer" [2 times]
error in process sentinel: End of file during parsing [2 times]
Updating buffer list...done

You may want to look in *Messages* buffer for clues.

>> There are different ways to load packages.  You could try a different way by following a techtube howto guide.
>
> I've found out about el-get, straight.el and others, so I'll give one
> of them a go.

One mechanism I might try is 'use-package'.

* Re: Unable to use `package-refresh-contents`: Bad signature from GNU ELPA Signing Agent
@ 2019-06-25 14:45 Nicky Chorley
From: Nicky Chorley @ 2019-06-25 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: monnier, help-gnu-emacs

Hi Stefan, others,

I can confirm that 26.2.90 does work for me. Thanks for the fix!

Best,

Nicky