all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* builtin completion ?
@ 2024-03-15 12:51 hx
From: hx @ 2024-03-15 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

I work on a linux computer (emacs26) without internet,usb,share ...
developing C program,
no way to install auto-complete/company-mode/lsp,

when I edit my init.el, (setq var-xx-, no auto completion, painfull,
any package can complete elisp variable/function like auto-complete-mode ?

For c programming, I only have cscope, but also no function/var completion,
there is cedet, I will try to configure it.

* Re: builtin completion ?
@ 2024-03-15 15:48 ` Philip Kaludercic
From: Philip Kaludercic @ 2024-03-15 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: hx; +Cc: emacs-devel

hx <silent2600@gmail.com> writes:

> I work on a linux computer (emacs26) without internet,usb,share ...
> developing C program,
> no way to install auto-complete/company-mode/lsp,
>
> when I edit my init.el, (setq var-xx-, no auto completion, painfull,
> any package can complete elisp variable/function like auto-complete-mode ?

Not /auto/ completion, but `completion-at-point' is bound by default,
and you can configure `tab-always-indent' to have TAB provide
completions as well.  They will pop up in the completion buffer, just
like with minibuffer completions.

> For c programming, I only have cscope, but also no function/var completion,
> there is cedet, I will try to configure it.

I am not sure if Emacs 26 had completion based on TAGS, but if Emacs was
installed using some standard mechanism, then you should have etags
available that could index the symbols in a project, that completion
could make use of.

--
	Philip Kaludercic on peregrine