all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Cannot connect to server using ERC
@ 2013-05-24 11:45 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-05-24 11:45 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I was trying to connect to irc.mozilla.org using ERC, but did not
succeed.  Here's my procedure:

  M-x erc RET
  IRC Server: irc.mozilla.org
  IRC Port: 6697
  Nickname: xfq
  Password: (blank)

But I _can_ connect it with Mibbit/Thunderbird.  I thought this is
because irc.mozilla.org uses SSL, but I still cannot connect to the
server after a `(require 'tls)'.  (I'm using OS X 10.8.3 and openssl is
installed on my system.)  Any ideas?

And here's the ERC buffer:
|[Fri May 24 2013]
|

|Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...                [18:55]
|

|[Fri May 24 2013]
|

|Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...                [18:55]
|

|[Fri May 24 2013]
|

|Connection failed!  Re-establishing connection...                [18:55]
|

|[Fri May 24 2013]
|==> ERROR from irc.mozilla.org: Closing Link: [106.187.102.201] (Throttled:
|    Reconnecting too fast) -Email ircadmins@mozilla.org for more information.
|                                        [18:55]
|

|Connection failed!  Not re-establishing connection.
|

|*** ERC terminated: connection broken by remote peer

* Re: Cannot connect to server using ERC
@ 2013-05-25 21:05 ` Herbert J. Skuhra
From: Herbert J. Skuhra @ 2013-05-25 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, 24 May 2013 19:45:00 +0800
Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:

> I was trying to connect to irc.mozilla.org using ERC, but did not
> succeed.  Here's my procedure:
>
>   M-x erc RET

M-x erc-tls RET

--
Herbert

* Re: Cannot connect to server using ERC
@ 2013-05-26  0:20   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-05-26  0:20 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Herbert J. Skuhra; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Sun, May 26, 2013 at 5:05 AM, Herbert J. Skuhra <hskuhra@eumx.net> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 May 2013 19:45:00 +0800
> Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was trying to connect to irc.mozilla.org using ERC, but did not
>> succeed.  Here's my procedure:
>>
>>   M-x erc RET
>
> M-x erc-tls RET

It works!  Thank you.