all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Emacs, X And Modifier Keys
@ 2015-11-13 22:15 T.V Raman
From: T.V Raman @ 2015-11-13 22:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

When running under X, I presently dont know of any way to listen for
just the ctrl key being pressed by itself --- can this be made
possible  going forward?

Similar questions for the other modifier keys --- would be nice to be
able to bind Emacs actions to those keys when they are hit by
themselves

* Re: Emacs, X And Modifier Keys
@ 2015-11-14  0:22 ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2015-11-14  0:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.V Raman; +Cc: Emacs-devel

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 6:15 AM, T.V Raman <raman@google.com> wrote:

> When running under X, I presently dont know of any way to listen for
> just the ctrl key being pressed by itself --- can this be made
> possible  going forward?
>
> Similar questions for the other modifier keys --- would be nice to be
> able to bind Emacs actions to those keys when they are hit by
> themselves

That would be a great feature to add.  I've been waiting this kind of
feature for years.

* Re: Emacs, X And Modifier Keys
@ 2015-12-15 17:43 ` Tom
From: Tom @ 2015-12-15 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

T.V Raman <raman <at> google.com> writes:

> When running under X, I presently dont know of any way to listen for
> just the ctrl key being pressed by itself --- can this be made
> possible  going forward?

It should already be possible if you don't mind using external
tools.

Using a combination of xdotool and xmodmap you should be able to
make control send a different keycode when emacs is active, so
you can bind a command to it in emacs.

I haven't tried it under X, but that's how I utilize my right
control key (which I wouldn't use otherwise in emacs) on Windows
using autohotkey.