all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Differences of "Emacs job" and "Emacs session"
@ 2013-07-10 11:22 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-07-10 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

What's the difference of an "Emacs job" and an "Emacs session"?  ISTM
they are the same.  If so, does it make sense to unify the wording for them?

(In my clone of Emacs repo, "Emacs job" appears 49 times and "Emacs
session" appears 483 times, including ChangeLog and binary files, so the
term "session" is used much more.)

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: Differences of "Emacs job" and "Emacs session"
@ 2013-07-10 15:45 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2013-07-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: emacs-devel

> Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 19:22:47 +0800
> From: Xue Fuqiao <xfq.free@gmail.com>
>
> What's the difference of an "Emacs job" and an "Emacs session"?

The difference is in the POV.  "Job" is looking at Emacs from POV of
the OS, while "session" takes the POV of the user who works in Emacs.

Both describe a running Emacs process.

* Re: Differences of "Emacs job" and "Emacs session"
@ 2013-07-10 15:45 ` Glenn Morris
From: Glenn Morris @ 2013-07-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: emacs-devel

Xue Fuqiao wrote:

> What's the difference of an "Emacs job" and an "Emacs session"?  ISTM
> they are the same.  If so, does it make sense to unify the wording for them?

Not necessarily. Sometimes "job" could be more apppropriate, eg when
referring to a batch mode Emacs. It depends on context.

* Re: Differences of "Emacs job" and "Emacs session"
@ 2013-07-10 15:59   ` John Yates
From: John Yates @ 2013-07-10 15:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: Xue Fuqiao, Emacs developers