all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113589: Merge: Add vc-ignore.
       [not found] <E1V3xqp-00062F-PG@vcs.savannah.gnu.org>
@ 2013-07-30  1:23 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2013-07-30  1:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: emacs-devel

> +	(cvs-append-to-ignore): Moved from pcvs.el.

Please use the present tense in ChangeLog entries.

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113589: Merge: Add vc-ignore.
@ 2013-07-30  3:53   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-07-30  3:53 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stefan Monnier; +Cc: emacs-devel

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Stefan Monnier
<monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>> +     (cvs-append-to-ignore): Moved from pcvs.el.
>
> Please use the present tense in ChangeLog entries.

So, what should it be?  Is "Moving from pcvs.el" appropriate?  My
grammar isn't very good.

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113589: Merge: Add vc-ignore.
@ 2013-07-30  4:54     ` Stephen J. Turnbull
From: Stephen J. Turnbull @ 2013-07-30  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

Xue Fuqiao writes:
 > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Stefan Monnier
 > <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
 > >> +     (cvs-append-to-ignore): Moved from pcvs.el.
 > >
 > > Please use the present tense in ChangeLog entries.
 >
 > So, what should it be?  Is "Moving from pcvs.el" appropriate?  My
 > grammar isn't very good.

"Move here from pcvs.el." would be good.

"Moving" is the "present participle", not the present tense.  The idea
is to use the simple present tense to describe the change (not what
was lacking) and to indicate what the developer was thinking when he
executed the change.  If this is done consistently, there's no
confusion between undesirable (pre-change) states and corrected
states.  Native speakers often use past tense to describe the buggy
state: "Emacs crashed when user did X", with "change Y fixes this"
implied.  But it's hard (for a native speaker) to write "Emacs crashes
..." when it's already fixed.  So the discipline of use present tense
tends to implicitly enforce the discipline of describing the change,
not the bug.

But hey, we're using English.  You'd think Emacs devs when know when to
"unset GRAMMAR_ME_HARDER".

* Re: [Emacs-diffs] trunk r113589: Merge: Add vc-ignore.
@ 2013-07-30  6:10       ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-07-30  6:10 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Stephen J. Turnbull; +Cc: Stefan Monnier, emacs-devel

On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull
<stephen@xemacs.org> wrote:
> Xue Fuqiao writes:
>  > On Tue, Jul 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM, Stefan Monnier
>  > <monnier@iro.umontreal.ca> wrote:
>  > >> +     (cvs-append-to-ignore): Moved from pcvs.el.
>  > >
>  > > Please use the present tense in ChangeLog entries.
>  >
>  > So, what should it be?  Is "Moving from pcvs.el" appropriate?  My
>  > grammar isn't very good.
>
> "Move here from pcvs.el." would be good.
>
> "Moving" is the "present participle", not the present tense.  The idea
> is to use the simple present tense to describe the change (not what
> was lacking) and to indicate what the developer was thinking when he
> executed the change.  If this is done consistently, there's no
> confusion between undesirable (pre-change) states and corrected
> states.  Native speakers often use past tense to describe the buggy
> state: "Emacs crashed when user did X", with "change Y fixes this"
> implied.  But it's hard (for a native speaker) to write "Emacs crashes
> ..." when it's already fixed.  So the discipline of use present tense
> tends to implicitly enforce the discipline of describing the change,
> not the bug.

Fixed, thanks.  Maybe it can be added to standards.texi.