all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* About `char' in momentary-string-display
@ 2013-10-17 13:06 Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-10-17 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

In (info "(elisp) Temporary Displays"):

 -- Function: momentary-string-display string position &optional char
          message
[...]
     Thus, typing CHAR will simply remove the string from the display,
     while typing (say) `C-f' will remove the string from the display
     and later (presumably) move point forward.  The argument CHAR is a
     space by default.

I tried evaluating ‘(momentary-string-display "foo" 1)’ in the *scratch*
buffer and typed ‘C-f’, but the point didn't move forward.  Instead, a
‘[6]’ is echoed in the *Messages* buffer.  I don't know what the ‘[6]’
stands for, but the codepoint for ^F is #x6 (ACK).  So I think there may
be a link between them.

But anyway, why didn't the point move forward (the point wasn't at eob)?

(I searched the archives, but didn't get anything that looked promising.)

--
Best regards, Xue Fuqiao.
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

* Re: About `char' in momentary-string-display
@ 2013-10-17 13:17 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2013-10-17 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/17/13 7:06 AM, Xue Fuqiao wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In (info "(elisp) Temporary Displays"):
>
>   -- Function: momentary-string-display string position&optional char
>            message
> [...]
>       Thus, typing CHAR will simply remove the string from the display,
>       while typing (say) `C-f' will remove the string from the display
>       and later (presumably) move point forward.  The argument CHAR is a
>       space by default.
>
> I tried evaluating ‘(momentary-string-display "foo" 1)’ in the *scratch*
> buffer and typed ‘C-f’, but the point didn't move forward.  Instead, a
> ‘[6]’ is echoed in the *Messages* buffer.  I don't know what the ‘[6]’
> stands for, but the codepoint for ^F is #x6 (ACK).  So I think there may
> be a link between them.
>
> But anyway, why didn't the point move forward (the point wasn't at eob)?

CHAR defaults to SPC, but you typed C-f.  What happens if you type SPC?

What happens if you specify C-f as CHAR:
(momentary-string-display "foo" 1 ?\C-f)

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: About `char' in momentary-string-display
@ 2013-10-17 20:12 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2013-10-17 20:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xue Fuqiao wrote:
> I tried evaluating ‘(momentary-string-display "foo" 1)’ in the *scratch*
> buffer and typed ‘C-f’, but the point didn't move forward.

I think it's related to evaluation in the *scratch* buffer.  Try typing
M-: and then eval the expession there -- it works as advertised.

But how exactly the *scratch* buffer makes it fail, I'm not sure.  I
tried to eval (previous-line 3) in the scratch buffer, and it dutifully
went up some lines before inserting "nil" (the return value).

Kai

* Re: About `char' in momentary-string-display
@ 2013-10-18  7:44   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-10-18  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Rodgers; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, Oct 17, 2013 at 9:17 PM, Kevin Rodgers
<kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/17/13 7:06 AM, Xue Fuqiao wrote:
>> In (info "(elisp) Temporary Displays"):
>>
>>   -- Function: momentary-string-display string position&optional char
>>
>>            message
>> [...]
>>       Thus, typing CHAR will simply remove the string from the display,
>>       while typing (say) `C-f' will remove the string from the display
>>       and later (presumably) move point forward.  The argument CHAR is a
>>       space by default.
>>
>> I tried evaluating ‘(momentary-string-display "foo" 1)’ in the *scratch*
>> buffer and typed ‘C-f’, but the point didn't move forward.  Instead, a
>> ‘[6]’ is echoed in the *Messages* buffer.  I don't know what the ‘[6]’
>> stands for, but the codepoint for ^F is #x6 (ACK).  So I think there may
>> be a link between them.
>>
>> But anyway, why didn't the point move forward (the point wasn't at eob)?
>> Can anyone point me in the right direction?
>
> CHAR defaults to SPC, but you typed C-f.  What happens if you type SPC?

Thanks for your attention.  If I type SPC, Emacs (as expected) ignores
it.  But what I'm asking is about the case when CHAR ≠ the-character-i-press.

> What happens if you specify C-f as CHAR:
> (momentary-string-display "foo" 1 ?\C-f)

It doesn't make sense, I think.  Emacs will simply remove "foo" from the
display, and ignore the "C-f".  It is the same as pressing SPC with

@ 2013-10-18  7:51   ` Xue Fuqiao
From: Xue Fuqiao @ 2013-10-18  7:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kai Großjohann; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Fri, Oct 18, 2013 at 4:12 AM, Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote:
> Xue Fuqiao wrote:
>> I tried evaluating ‘(momentary-string-display "foo" 1)’ in the *scratch*
>> buffer and typed ‘C-f’, but point didn't move forward.
>
> I think it's related to evaluation in the *scratch* buffer.  Try typing
> M-: and then eval the expession there -- it works as advertised.
>
> But how exactly the *scratch* buffer makes it fail, I'm not sure.  I
> tried to eval (previous-line 3) in the scratch buffer, and it dutifully
> went up some lines before inserting "nil" (the return value).

Thanks.  But in fact I didn't use eval-print-last-sexp (which is bound
to C-j in lisp-interaction-mode by default).  I was using eval-last-sexp
(C-x C-e).  I also tried ‘load’ and ‘eval-expression’, but neither of
them worked as I expected.

Maybe we are using different versions of Emacs?  I'm using 24.3.50
(114635 eliz@gnu.org-20131012090021-bau450cmd6gk61ag) on Ubuntu 13.04.

--

@ 2013-10-18 22:19     ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2013-10-18 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Fuqiao; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Xue Fuqiao wrote:

> Thanks.  But in fact I didn't use eval-print-last-sexp (which is bound
> to C-j in lisp-interaction-mode by default).  I was using eval-last-sexp
> (C-x C-e).  I also tried ‘load’ and ‘eval-expression’, but neither of
> them worked as I expected.

C-x C-e worked beautifully for me:

GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin12.3.0, NS apple-appkit-1187.37) of
2013-04-01 on teneight-slave.macports.org

Kai