Hello emacs-devel, below is a patch trying to address old bug #15539. It introduces an EMACS_USER_DIRECTORY environment variable which (if present) has two effects: 1- it provides a custom value for `user-emacs-directory' (instead of the default `~/.emacs.d'). 2- it instructs emacs to look for the initialization file in the provided directory (instead of `~USER/.emacs.d') As explained in the bug's discussion, this covers more use cases than simply symlinking ~/.emacs.d. Here are for example a few words about my use case: at work, I try to maintain a sensible set of init files for my co-workers to use (with the very outdated default version that we have installed by default on our systems: 23.2). On the other hand, on my machine, I maintain a locally-installed Emacs version that is more up-to-date. In order to maintain both sets of init files, I need to be able to run both versions of Emacs at the same time, which prevents me from symlinking ~/.emacs.d/ There are also reddit[1] and stackexchange[2] questions hinting at the same kind of use. Please do not hesitate to comment and criticize the patch; this is my first time and I might very well have overlooked some details. Thanks in advance, François [1] http://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/2y1b3a/how_can_i_easily_keep_different_emacsd_folders/ [2] http://emacs.stackexchange.com/q/4253/221