Glenn, Thanks, that did the trick. I'd like to automate this by reading in aliases from my bash aliases file. Would it be reasonable to do something like adding shell-resync-dirs as a (conditional, if last command matched a cd alias) hook on comint-output-filter-functions? Additionally, is there an easy way to hide the execution of `dirs' from the shell buffer? Thanks, Jake On Sat, May 31, 2014 at 1:30 PM, Glenn Morris wrote: > > This is http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9555 > You can use M-x shell-resync-dirs to fix things up. >