You can use the function set-hard-newline-properties to mark all newlines in some range as hard. For the inverse you can remove the 'hard property with (remove-text-property START END '(hard nil)). On Thu, Dec 14, 2017 at 2:44 PM, Uwe Brauer wrote: > Hi > > For email I start to use messages-are-flowing.el (for example in this > message) which insert and display hardlines. (This is useful when sending > message to devices with small screens since then the line ending is better > displayed). > > However sometimes it is a bit too much. So I still have a function which > replaces softline by hardlines, namely > > (defun harden-newlines () (interactive) (save-excursion ; (goto-char > (point-min)) (mail-text) (while (search-forward "\n" nil t) > (put-text-property (1- (point)) (point) 'hard t)))) > So I thought the inverse operation could be > (defun soften-newlines () (interactive) (save-excursion ; (goto-char > (point-min)) (mail-text) (while (search-forward "\n" nil t) > (put-text-property (1- (point)) (point) 'soft t)))) > But unfortunately this did not work out. I tried to google for the > put-text-property function but did not find anything useful. > > Somebody has an idea how to do that, replace hardlines again by softlines? > > Thanks > > Uwe Brauer > > ​