Hi all, This is my first attempt of modifying the C source of Emacs. The goal is to add a new reader syntax: #(foo bar) should translate to (short-lambda (foo bar)) This is in the same way that the `backquote' is working now: `(foo bar) translates to (backquote (foo bar)) The `short-lambda' macro is implemented here: https://github.com/abo-abo/short-lambda. In the simplest form, i.e. one that does not allow multiple or &rest-style arguments, it can look like this: (defmacro short-lambda (x) `(lambda (%) ,x)) Even in this simple form, it can sweeten up Elisp a lot: (mapc #(put % 'disabled nil) '(upcase-region downcase-region narrow-to-region)) With the (less trivial) linked `short-lambda', the following is possible: (cl-mapcar #(concat %1 " are " %2) '("roses" "violets") '("red" "blue")) Here's a snippet from `org-mode': (mapcar (lambda (x) (and (member (car x) matchers) (nth 1 x))) org-latex-regexps) Here's the sweetened code: (mapcar #(and (member (car %) matchers) (nth 1 %)) org-latex-regexps) As far as I know, only #("foo" ...) literal is already taken, so #(Z, where Z is anything but a " is up for grabs, reader-wise. I hope that you don't view this patch as malarkey. Saving a few chars while typing and reading is a big deal to a lot of people. And the way I see it, this implementation doesn't cost much. regards, Oleh