On 24 Oct 2008, at 20:36, Bernhard Koenig wrote: > you get a list of "recent files". In Emacs, even with the recentf > extension, it seems impossible to add a "recentf-open-files" icon to > the toolbar. Of course you can use keybindings, but some people like > the mouse and the "recent files" in the menubar require more clicks. It's perfectly possible. I have it in Aquamacs, and it just took me a bit of Lisp code. The full code is in aquamacs-tool-bar.el if you want to look it up. Specifically, this is what does it: (tool-bar-add-item '("history" . "Recent") (lambda () (interactive) (popup-menu (easy-menu-filter-return (recentf-make-menu-items) "Open Recent"))) 'recent-files :visible '(and (boundp 'recentf-mode) recentf-mode) :help "Pop up the Recent Files menu")