all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Win98 - Out of Environment Space
@ 2002-08-15 20:54 Stevens, Brigham
From: Stevens, Brigham @ 2002-08-15 20:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

I cannot meta-X compile... At home I am stuck on Win98 for the time
being.

I am trying to run Ant inside emacs, but really every script fails....

How can I get emacs to allocate a shell with the right environment
space??
I edited a PIF for command.com but that does not help. When I open a
regular DOS shell outside emacs  I can run Ant there just fine.

But I need to run it in emacs.... Any help would be greatly
appreciated!!

--brigham

* Re: Win98 - Out of Environment Space
@ 2002-08-18 18:54 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-08-18 18:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> From: "Stevens, Brigham" <Brigham.Stevens@wamu.net>
> Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 13:54:56 -0700
>
> I am trying to run Ant inside emacs, but really every script fails....
>
> How can I get emacs to allocate a shell with the right environment
> space??

"command.com /e:4000" should start an inferior shell with 4000 bytes
of environment space.

* RE: Win98 - Out of Environment Space
@ 2002-08-20 18:24 Stevens, Brigham
From: Stevens, Brigham @ 2002-08-20 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Hey cool.. what emacs variable do I set to make it do this all the time?
Calling it inferior is being TOO NICE....

@ 2002-08-21  6:50 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-08-21  6:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:24:46 -0700
> From: "Stevens, Brigham" <brigham.stevens@wamu.net>
>
> Hey cool.. what emacs variable do I set to make it do this all the time?

I don't know, since you didn't say how do you invoke Ant or the shell.

One possible way is to define a variable called
explicit-command.com-args, and give it the value "/e:4000".  Then the
command "M-x shell" will pass that argument automatically to
COMMAND.COM.

* RE: Win98 - Out of Environment Space
@ 2002-08-21 16:47 Stevens, Brigham
From: Stevens, Brigham @ 2002-08-21 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

I run ant with M-X compile...

I tried to use the Customize Emacs menu to do it, "Explicit Shell
Filename" but that put emacs in a weird state, it wouldn't quit and
dumped a bunch of garbage to the mini-buffer! Anyways, so I backed out
those changes.

There is also an "Exlpicit cSh Args"... but that indicates only for csh,
not command.com.

I will give your suggestion a try, setting it in my .emacs like this:

(setq explicit-command.com-args "/e:4000")

unfortunately I have to wait until I get home tonight to try out my
INFERIOR POS shell.

Thanks for your suggestions!

@ 2002-08-22  8:00 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2002-08-22  8:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 09:47:46 -0700
> From: "Stevens, Brigham" <brigham.stevens@wamu.net>
>
> I run ant with M-X compile...

Then you should be able to customize the variable compile-command to
use "command.com /e:4000 /c ant.exe" (assuming the program you invoke
is ant.exe).