all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* backspace key binding!!
@ 2003-01-30 18:40 Stevens, Brigham
From: Stevens, Brigham @ 2003-01-30 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I just got a new linux server running.... It has emacs and I use it
under ssh..

I don't know the emacs version, but this is probably an easy generic
question....

The backspace key is bound to some awful help command, and it won't
backup and delete characters like it is supposed to!! It is really bad
because when I hit backspace the screen splits and this page comes up,
and it totally ruins whatever I was typing...

I do not have a special .emacs or anything, I am only running the emacs
defaults.

ALSO, I want the DELETE key to be bound to forward delete char...

ALSO, I would like to configure my root account to use all the settings
from a user account - is there any way to do this? I guess that is more
of a unix/linux question...

Thanks for any help!

* Re: backspace key binding!!
@ 2003-02-01 23:24 ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2003-02-01 23:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/Plain, Size: 1226 bytes --]

This should be a FAQ or in a readme or something.  Anyway, it's a common
question.  Anyway....

Put the lines below into your ~/.emacs file and restart emacs:

;; Translate `C-h' to <DEL>.
(keyboard-translate ?\C-h ?\C-?)
;; Translate <DEL> to `C-h'.
(keyboard-translate ?\C-? ?\C-h)

Happy Chinese New Year,
Enjoy,
ken

=

--
Happy Gui-Wei 4700

* Re: backspace key binding!!
       [not found] <mailman.1305.1044133993.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-02-03 15:26 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2003-02-03 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

> ALSO, I want the DELETE key to be bound to forward delete char...

See normal-erase-is-backspace-mode.