all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Copying till end of word or line
@ 2009-08-25 20:13 Farhan Ahmed
From: Farhan Ahmed @ 2009-08-25 20:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Is there a single command that will let me copy the word under the cursor
into my yank buffer? Also, how about till the end of the line?

I know I can use C-spc and movement commands to achieve the same but a
single command might be useful.

Farhan

* Re: Copying till end of word or line
@ 2009-08-26  2:47 ` Eric Abrahamsen
From: Eric Abrahamsen @ 2009-08-26  2:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Aug 26, 2009, at 4:13 AM, Farhan Ahmed wrote:

> Is there a single command that will let me copy the word under the
> cursor
> into my yank buffer? Also, how about till the end of the line?

I don't know of a single command that can do that, but often just
doing a kill and a yank right away (replacing the text you yanked) is
the easiest way to get something into the kill ring, if you can get
over the appearance of having "deleted" text you actually want. Also,
check out M-@ to mark words going forward, that's a nice one I
discovered recently.

@ 2009-08-26  7:52 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2009-08-26  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Farhan Ahmed; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 25.08.2009 um 22:13 schrieb Farhan Ahmed:

> Is there a single command that will let me copy the word under the
> cursor
> into my yank buffer?

Double-click.

> Also, how about till the end of the line?

A macro (kill to end of line, undo this action), bound to Shift-
double-click?

--
Greetings

   Pete

Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?
				- Tom Stoppard

* Re: Copying till end of word or line
       [not found] <mailman.5361.1251240327.2239.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2009-08-26 10:54 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2009-08-26 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

"Farhan Ahmed" <farhan@alienfluid.com> writes:
> Is there a single command that will let me copy the word under the cursor
> into my yank buffer? Also, how about till the end of the line?

I don't know, but let's see.

What is the command used to copy the region?

I don't know, but let's see.

How do we find the command executed when I type something?

C-h k  something

What do I type to copy something?

C-w

How do we find the command executed when I type C-w?

C-h k C-w

What is the name of the command used to copy the region?

kill-region

What other commands exist that start by kill-?

We can use M-x apropos-command or completion upon entry of a command
to see them.  Let's kill two rabits with one stone by using the latest
option, on C-h f which will give us the help of the selected command:

C-h f kill- TAB

Do I see anything I like?

Yes, there's kill-line, kill-whole-line, kill-word, etc...

Is there a shortcut for kill-word?

I don't know, but let's see.  Type word RET to complete and get the
help.

Does the help mention any binding for the kill-word command?

Yes, there's M-d.  Happy!

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__

* Re: Copying till end of word or line
@ 2009-08-27 19:26   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2009-08-27 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> "Farhan Ahmed" <farhan@alienfluid.com> writes:
>> Is there a single command that will let me copy the word under the cursor
>> into my yank buffer? Also, how about till the end of the line?

> Does the help mention any binding for the kill-word command?
>
> Yes, there's M-d.  Happy!

I did learn a lot of ways to search there,:) but I think what the OP was
asking was different. He wanted to copy not kill the next word.
Something like what `M-w' does for a region.

--
Suvayu