To clarify, I was not writing to a file that was open in emacs. In fact, emacs would use 100% cpu even with no files opened, so long as global-auto-revert-mode was activated. On Tue, Oct 30, 2018 at 2:22 AM Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Justin Van Winkle > > Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 17:13:22 -0400 > > Cc: 33194@debbugs.gnu.org > > > > It was outside of emacs. SCP would trigger the cpu usage in emacs, > rsync would not (oddly). Both "cat > > /dev/zero > somefile" and "dd if=/dev/zero of=somefile" would trigger > it if somefile was in my $HOME > > directory, but none of these would trigger it if I did it in, for > example, $HOME/Downloads/ > > Isn't this expected? Auto-revert watches the directory of the file, > so if a lot of changes happen in that directory, Emacs will get a lot > of file-change notifications, and will need to process them. > > If you don't like this, customize auto-revert-use-notify to not use > notifications. Or maybe there's some system-wide customization of > inotify that determine the max frequency of inotify notifications when > the changes are to the same file. (I don't know enough about inotify > to say anything more specific, sorry.) >