all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-24 21:05 Brian Burns
From: Brian Burns @ 2016-01-24 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-tangents

The latest version of the EmacsWiki theme is up - you can try it with
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs?action=browse;bootstrap=0;id=CSSPreview;css=https://rawgit.com/bburns/emacswiki-light-theme/master/light.css
and use the wiki as normally, then reset to the default with
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs?action=browse;id=CSS;bootstrap=1. The
project site is here - https://github.com/bburns/emacswiki-light-theme.

This version should handle smaller screen sizes, and incorporates much of
the feedback from Reddit. Also posted this there -
https://www.reddit.com/r/emacs/comments/42dqdg/emacswiki_theme_v2/.

Any/all feedback is welcome :)

Brian

* Re: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-25 20:43 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-01-25 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents

> The latest version of the EmacsWiki theme is up

Hi Brian,

I'm really not a fan of the serif'd font chosen, although that is an easy
detail to override locally.

Choosing something closer to fonts used by most of the Web uses would make it
a less jarring experience. I find this font a bit too light and thin.

* RE: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-25 23:16   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-01-25 23:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley, Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents

> Choosing something closer to fonts used by most of the Web uses would make
> it a less jarring experience. I find this font a bit too light and thin.

FWIW, the original CSS ("Classic"), which used to be the default,
is pretty much what "most of the Web uses". Simple and easy to read (IMO).
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs?action=browse;bootstrap=0;id=CSS;theme=;css=

* Re: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-26  0:36   ` Brian Burns
From: Brian Burns @ 2016-01-26  0:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley, emacs-tangents

Yeah, I searched through all the Google Fonts to try to find a good serif
font but they all seemed either too light or too heavy, so ended up just
using Garamond and URW Palladio L - the Garamond was a bit light but I kind
of got used to it.

There is a free alternative called ET Book though, which looks better - it
would require hosting on the EmacsWiki server or a CDN. I'll push it up to
GitHub if anyone would like to try it -
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs?action=browse;bootstrap=0;id=CSSPreview;css=https://rawgit.com/bburns/emacswiki-light-theme/master/light.css
- reset with http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs?action=browse;id=CSS;bootstrap=1.

I'll try some sans-serif fonts out and see how they look also.

Brian

On Mon, Jan 25, 2016 at 2:43 PM, John Wiegley <jwiegley@gmail.com> wrote:

> > The latest version of the EmacsWiki theme is up
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> I'm really not a fan of the serif'd font chosen, although that is an easy
> detail to override locally.
>
> Choosing something closer to fonts used by most of the Web uses would make
> it
> a less jarring experience. I find this font a bit too light and thin.
>
> --
> John Wiegley                  GPG fingerprint = 4710 CF98 AF9B 327B B80F
> http://newartisans.com                          60E1 46C4 BD1A 7AC1 4BA2

* Re: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-26  0:41     ` Brian Burns
From: Brian Burns @ 2016-01-26  0:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: emacs-tangents, John Wiegley

Yeah, I liked that design also, except that I often found it hard to tell
sections apart - so I tried to make the headers stand out more.

Brian

@ 2016-01-26  1:00       ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-01-26  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents, Drew Adams

> Yeah, I liked that design also, except that I often found it hard to tell
> sections apart - so I tried to make the headers stand out more.

This is very true, looking at the classic style; I can barely see the headers.

* RE: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-26  2:09       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-01-26  2:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents, John Wiegley

That depends on your browser. These are just vanilla HTML H1, H2, etc., and browsers render them differently. Try a different browser, and you might be surprised how much they stand out (or don't).

@ 2016-01-26  2:14         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-01-26  2:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wiegley, Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents

> > Yeah, I liked that design also, except that I often found it hard to
> > tell sections apart - so I tried to make the headers stand out more.
>
> This is very true, looking at the classic style; I can barely see the
> headers.

Originally the headings were H1, H2,..., but at some point Alex changed
them, I think, to H2, H3,....  Possibly that was because someone thought
they stood out too much. ;-)  (But again, different browsers render
vanilla HTML headings differently.)

* Re: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-26  5:02     ` Yuri Khan
From: Yuri Khan @ 2016-01-26  5:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents, John Wiegley

On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 6:36 AM, Brian Burns <bburns.km@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yeah, I searched through all the Google Fonts to try to find a good serif
> font but they all seemed either too light or too heavy, so ended up just
> using Garamond and URW Palladio L - the Garamond was a bit light but I kind
> of got used to it.

Why do you even want to specify a font for body text?

The user already has one favorite serif font, one favorite sans-serif
font, and one favorite monospaced font, and has them configured in
their browser preferences. Any change from that will lead to a
decrease in legibility for that particular user.

(Overriding fonts for headings is okay. But very sparingly.)

* RE: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-26  5:47       ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2016-01-26  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yuri Khan, Brian Burns; +Cc: emacs-tangents, John Wiegley

> > Yeah, I searched through all the Google Fonts to try to find a good serif
> > font but they all seemed either too light or too heavy, so ended up just
> > using Garamond and URW Palladio L - the Garamond was a bit light but I
> > kind of got used to it.
>
> Why do you even want to specify a font for body text?
>
> The user already has one favorite serif font, one favorite sans-serif
> font, and one favorite monospaced font, and has them configured in
> their browser preferences. Any change from that will lead to a
> decrease in legibility for that particular user.
>
> (Overriding fonts for headings is okay. But very sparingly.)

+1, for respecting a user's choice (browser settings/preferences).

On the other hand, choosing a particular style for using the wiki
is also a user choice.

This is also why I think that such a choice (for a style/CSS)
should be opt-in, with the default being vanilla HTML.  Instead,
the current default appearance is a particular CSS style.

But at least users do have a choice of styles, including one
that is pretty much vanilla HTML.

* Re: New EmacsWiki theme v2
@ 2016-01-26 19:33       ` Brian Burns
From: Brian Burns @ 2016-01-26 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)