2012/1/20 Stefan Monnier > >> I'm not completely sure. The current code doesn't seem that bad since, > >> as you say, it basically reproduces the behavior of > >> window-configurations. > >> So I'd like to first hear of what are concrete cases where the current > >> behavior is a problem. > > It's very simple : with the current code, when you call the > > `window-state-put' function, the mark is restored as active. > > That's easy to fix: use (set-marker (mark-marker)) instead of set-mark. > Interesting. > > > - Either, remove all the mark stuff from `window-state-get' and > > `window-state-put' functions. > > That's not a bad idea, actually. > Yes that's was my first idea in fact. After this discussion I think it's the good thing to do and ou I attached the corresponding patch to this email. `window-state-get' and `window-state-put' should not deal with mark as it's not relevant at all and leads to an unexpected behavior from user point of view. > > Stefan > > > PS: BTW, the "multiple push-mark" issue can be solved by saving the mark > only once per buffer rather than once per window (i.e. the window-state > object would have a separate list of affected buffers with their > corresponding state, including the mark, not sure what else could be > there). > I do agree but it will change several things and while we are in feature freeze I propose to remove the wrong mark management and see how to do it this way in future development. Thanks.