all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-01 21:35 Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-04-01 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

There is a big ethical problem with site melpa.org.  It does not work
at all unless the user executes Javascript code.  Several pages of it.
It does not seem to carry free software licenses.

I determined this by trying to access it with IceCat.  It blocked lots
of Javascript.  Even the most basic navigation does not work.

I hope that we can get this fixed.  John Wiegley, would you like to
talk with them about it?

However, for the moment, please do not post anything here referring
people to melpa.org.  Is there anything in the Emacs sources
mentioning melpa.org?

--
Dr Richard Stallman

* Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-01 22:03 ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-04-01 22:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 04/01/2016 11:35 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:

> There is a big ethical problem with site melpa.org.  It does not work
> at all unless the user executes Javascript code.  Several pages of it.
> It does not seem to carry free software licenses.

All the code it runs is MIT or GPL licensed, it seems.

* Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-02  6:51 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-04-02  6:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2016 17:35:10 -0400
>
> Is there anything in the Emacs sources mentioning melpa.org?

It's mentioned in the FAQ.

* Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-02 19:01   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-04-02 19:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Clément Pit--Claudel; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > All the code it runs is MIT or GPL licensed, it seems.

"MIT licensed" is an ambiguous term, which we should avoid: see
http://gnu.org/licenses/license-list.html.  But you must mean
it carries some lax, permissive free license.

If all the code is in fact free, the proble could be fixed by putting
the appropriate license notices on the JS files (plus source pointers,
in any minified files).

But it does need to be actually fixed, before we can refer to it.  If
a page uses Javascript that LibreJS can't recognize as free, and if
that Javascript is _necessary_ for the page to serve its purpose,
we can't link to it.

--

@ 2016-04-02 19:02   ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-04-02 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > > Is there anything in the Emacs sources mentioning melpa.org?

  > It's mentioned in the FAQ.

Would you please delete it, for now?  We should not recommend
sites that are useless when visited with LibreJS.

--

@ 2016-04-02 19:51     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2016-04-02 19:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rms; +Cc: emacs-devel

> From: Richard Stallman <rms@gnu.org>
> CC: emacs-devel@gnu.org
> Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2016 15:02:40 -0400
>
>   > > Is there anything in the Emacs sources mentioning melpa.org?
>
>   > It's mentioned in the FAQ.
>
> Would you please delete it, for now?  We should not recommend
> sites that are useless when visited with LibreJS.

Don't you want to wait for their response first?

* Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-02 21:55 ` John Wiegley
From: John Wiegley @ 2016-04-02 21:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman; +Cc: emacs-devel

> I hope that we can get this fixed. John Wiegley, would you like to talk with
> them about it?

Sure, I'll talk with the MELPA maintainers.

* Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-03  6:05   ` Vibhav Pant
From: Vibhav Pant @ 2016-04-03  6:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Richard Stallman, emacs-devel@gnu.org

The source for Melpa's website is available here, and is licensed
under the GPL v3: https://github.com/melpa/melpa/tree/master/html

--
Vibhav Pant
vibhavp@gmail.com

* Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-03  9:10     ` Clément Pit--Claudel
From: Clément Pit--Claudel @ 2016-04-03  9:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

On 04/03/2016 08:05 AM, Vibhav Pant wrote:
> The source for Melpa's website is available here, and is licensed
> under the GPL v3: https://github.com/melpa/melpa/tree/master/html

Yes, I pointed this out already I think Richard's concern is that the code doesn't carry the right tags, so it cannot be properly identified by LibreJS, a plugin that filters out nonfree code, and free code that hasn't been labeled as such. Without that code, the MELPA website is pretty unusable.

* Re: melpa.org doesn't work without nonfree software
@ 2016-04-03 14:30       ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-04-03 14:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Eli Zaretskii; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > >   > > Is there anything in the Emacs sources mentioning melpa.org?
  > >
  > >   > It's mentioned in the FAQ.
  > >
  > > Would you please delete it, for now?  We should not recommend
  > > sites that are useless when visited with LibreJS.

  > Don't you want to wait for their response first?

I expect it to take time to fix the problem, and we should not
keep on referring to the site while waiting.

When they fix it, restoring the reference will be quick and easy.

--

@ 2016-04-04 14:22     ` Richard Stallman
From: Richard Stallman @ 2016-04-04 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vibhav Pant; +Cc: emacs-devel

  > The source for Melpa's website is available here, and is licensed
  > under the GPL v3: https://github.com/melpa/melpa/tree/master/html

Is that the source code for ALL the Javascript used in the page?

If so, it should be a small job to label the code so that LibreJS
will recognize it as free.  That doesn't mean we can assume it
will get done soon, but we can encourage the to do it.

But if there is other Javascript code used as well, that may
be harder.

--
Dr Richard Stallman