I see this line in elisp--eval-defun at least Emacs 28 - 30 (pre-release): (setq form (funcall load-read-function (current-buffer))) The default for load-read-function is nil, so it can't be called as a function by default. The value for me is indeed nil and is triggering an error for me when trying to evaluate an ert-deftest expression. How does this work? I don't see the value of load-read-function set anywhere else in elisp-mode.el. I see it set in debug.el and edebug.el but not when doing a normal defun eval. Thanks, rsw