On Tue, Oct 3, 2017 at 1:50 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote: > > Personally, for errors like this, I would typically include the function > > name reference so that the location is obvious and users without debug > > symbols in their Emacs could still report a more useful error. > > Is this doable? A good idea? > > I think it's desirable, yes. The problem is how to do it. > Even just showing the Lisp backtrace by itself with some note that the error was raised in C code would narrow down the location tremendously I think. ​​ > I guess we could try to replace `Ferror` with a C macro that pushes some > ​​ > caller-info onto the Lisp backtrace before signaling the error (a bit > ​​ > like we currently push some pseudo-function onto that stack trace > ​​ > during garbage collection and redisplay). It won't handle the cases > ​​ > where we call `Fsignal` instead, nor the cases where we call some > ​​ > generic C function which then calls Ferror, so to make it really work > ​​ > well, it'll require more manual work to place the caller-info at the > ​​ > "right" spot. > ​A full solution would be a big win. Bob