On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 2:06 PM, martin rudalics wrote: > >> Take raise-frame for example. Should we not expect > >> this to make the given frame the topmost? The doc string says we > >> should. > > > > Martin will tell, but I personally am not sure we can rely on that, > > the doc string notwithstanding. > > `raise-frame' should make a frame's window-system window the topmost one > in its z-group and any z-group beneath it. ​That is all I am asking of it. It should not direct input > focus to that frame although many window managers and window systems may > do that automatically. This should be no problem when the Emacs thread > already has input focus. If, however, Emacs doesn't have focus, it > would try to steal focus from another application and many "modern" > window managers and window systems may prevent that. > I do a lot of interactive, user-centered work where the Emacs is naturally the application with focus, so in this context there is no issue. ​​ > > ​​ > So `raise-frame' works reliably when the frame is given input focus as > ​​ > well - users of `minibuffer-auto-raise' should be able to confirm that. > ​​ > Calling it twice in a row without intermittent user interaction, using > ​​ > time to control its behavior, or calling it when Emacs doesn't already > ​​ > have focus, however, usually means asking for trouble. ​Good to know. Bob ​