On Fri, Sep 29, 2017 at 4:34 AM, martin rudalics wrote: > > ​The behavior is the same either way. It is definitely a bug in Emacs > 25.2 > > and 25.3 as I have confirmed it on both MacOS and Windows 7 using just > > default mouse-1 ​drags between frames. > > Do you mean that earlier Emacsen behave differently in this regard? ​No, just that I tested only with those versions. ​ > >> The start event seems to look OK. As for the end event, an X-coordinate > >> of -1373 does not look reasonable. > > > > > > ​Right. Is a negative value ever valid in this context? > > I think so. For example if you want to move your frame to that position > on the screen. ​Ok. ​ > > My claim is that if you put 2 frames on screen (start with > non-overlapping) > > and drag mouse-1 from the text area of one to the second, that the drag > > event generated upon the release of mouse-1 will contain frame1 rather > than > > frame2 (where the release happened).​ > > IIUC Emacs never was able to do that. Mouse dragging events so far make > sense only for the one-frame case. ​This needs to be fixed as it is a very natural gesture to move between frames. For the text area, this is moving between windows which just happen to occupy different frames. ​ > What you want involves much more > trickery: If you have two target frames covering the same screen > position, which one would you choose when releasing the mouse at that > position? Probably the one higher in the z-order. ​Yes. It may be easier to think of it in terms of the window of release rather than the frame​ as one will almost always need to know the window as well. ​​ One initial way to decrease the complexity is to make this work only when both the depress and release commands set the selected window. Then the posn- functions would have a unique window to report. ​​ > But only Emacs 26 > ​​ > can handle that and we would have to write routines to do it. ​Ok . > ​​ > > ​​ > Or > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > > ​​ > the one that gets focus during mouse tracking because your window > ​​ > manager has some sort of focus-follows-mouse installed? Then you would > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > ​​ > > ​​ > have to query the focus when you release the mouse. Non-trivial. ​See above. Thanks much for the feedback. I can say that if this is implemented, it will lead to improved user interfaces and faster inter-frame control in many instances. Bob ​