On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 1:41 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > No frame change has occurred yet > > where user input like self-inserting characters goes is different. > > How can this not be part of your Emacs model? > > As long as the selected frame is unchanged, the model holds: you need > only select the window. > > > ​​Frame-level input focus is insufficient to describe the window to which > > keyboard input goes in all cases. > ​We were talking about how input focus was an insufficient concept to describe which window user input is directed to. Similarly, select-window is insufficient by itself as well. ​ > ​​ > > ​​ > Keyboard input goes to the selected window of the selected frame. > ​​ > Why isn't that description sufficient? > ​Where is that explained? How does one find it? ​ > ​​ > > ​​ > > Plus, if we want to see any changes in buffer-to-window mappings > ​​ > > during the course of a function, we must invoke redisplay. > > Not normally, no. Normally, you select the frame and the window, and > then redisplay will do the rest automatically after your command > completes. To need some change displayed in the middle of a command > is unusual. > I think temporarily displaying a frame from the stack is a useful visual technique that would see more use were it simpler to implement. ​​ > > ​​ > > It is the description of the interrelations of these things that > ​​ > > is not described in a single place anywhere, especially with code > samples, > ​​ > > making it difficult for programmers to see what must be done. > ​​ > > ​​ > I don't understand why a complex task involving several steps must > ​​ > necessarily be described in a single place. > ​The implementation may be complex now but the user-level concept is not. It can be thought of as one thing: display the current contents of a window now (regardless of the window's frame or other frame's obscuring it or what buffer was attached at creation) I think this seems complex to you because you know many of the intricacies of what it takes​, but from a user perspective, it is one thing. ​​ > > ​​ > Once again, I suggest to add a few notes with cross-references to the > ​​ > existing nodes; I think this should be enough for those rare cases > ​​ > where the reader might not realize that the complete job requires > ​​ > doing several things together. > ​Any idea what to say? Bob ​ ​​ ​​ ​​