On Sat, Dec 16, 2017 at 2:56 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > From: Robert Weiner > > Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2017 14:18:09 -0500 > > Cc: Stefan Monnier , martin rudalics < > rudalics@gmx.at>, > > emacs-devel > > > > > ​​Frame-level input focus is insufficient to describe the window to > which > > > keyboard input goes in all cases. > > > > ​We were talking about how input focus was an insufficient > > concept to describe which window user input is directed to. > > Similarly, select-window is insufficient by itself as well. > > And I disagree with that. I think it _is_ sufficient. > As you said, we have covered this enough. ​ > ​​ > > ​Where is that explained? How does one find it? > ​​ > > ​​ > > ​​ > It's in the text you cited about what the "selected w > ​​ > indow" means. If > ​​ > you are saying that "most editing" does not necess > ​​ > arily cover keyboard > ​​ > input, I'm okay with adding that as an example. > ​​ > ​​ That would be good if it had a reference to where to find the rest of the information covering keyboard input. Bob ​​​​ > (Once again, such > text must not be interpreted too literally, because, e.g., commands > like "C-x 5 0" are definitely "keyboard input", but affect something > other than the selected window.) > ​Yes. ​ > ​​ > > ​​ > > ​​> Plus, if we want to see any changes in buffer-to-window mappings > ​​ > > ​​> during the course of a function, we must invoke redisplay. > ​​ > > > ​​ > > Not normally, no. Normally, you select the frame and the window, and > ​​ > > then redisplay will do the rest automatically after your command > ​​ > > completes. To need some change displayed in the middle of a command > ​​ > > is unusual. > ​​ ​Okay.​ ​​ > ​​ > > I think temporarily displaying a frame from the stack is > ​​ > > a useful visual technique that would see more use were it > ​​ > > simpler to implement. > ​​ > > ​​ > "Useful" does not contradict "unusual". Because it's unusual, finding > ​​ > the details about achieving these goals could legitimately be somewhat > ​​ > harder than for the more popular use cases. > ​So you are saying it may be hard yet potentially worthwhile to do? ​​ > > ​​ > > ​​> It is the description of the interrelations of these things that > ​​ > > ​​> is not described in a single place anywhere, especially with code > samples, > ​​ > > ​​> making it difficult for programmers to see what must be done. > ​​ > > ​​ > ​​ > > ​​I don't understand why a complex task involving several steps must > ​​ > > ​​necessarily be described in a single place. > ​​ > > > ​​ > > ​The implementation may be complex now but the user-level concept > ​​ > > is not. > ​​ > > ​​ > I wasn't talking about the implementation. I was talking about the > ​​ > task of a Lisp programmer who needs to select a window on another > ​​ > frame and make sure the frame is raised and input focus is redirected > ​​ > to it. This task is more complex than just selecting a window on the > ​​ > currently selected frame. > ​​ > > ​​ > > I think this seems complex to you because you know many of the > ​​ > > intricacies of what it takes​, but from a user perspective, it is > ​​ > > one thing. > ​​ > > ​​ > I disagree, and not because of my developer experience, but because of > ​​ > my user experience. > ​So we see this differently. Thanks for the time discussing it. Bob