On Wed, Jan 25, 2012 at 10:26 AM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote: > In XEmacs you can specify a color or a pixmap as background (bitmaps > are promoted to pixmaps, but with -- until about a week ago -- less > than satisfactory results).  So you could specify a background pixmap > (eg, as an XPM) as > [...] > and it will be tiled appropriately over the extent of the face, and > the text will be printed over that in the foreground color.  Sort of > like poor man's image layers. I think it would be simpler to do directly in C. I'm new to this but it should be simple to add a new field "underwave_p" in struct face ( with underline_p, overline_p) in dispextern.h:1590 and handle it (for X11) near xterm.c:2756. See POC program attached for drawing underwaved text in X11.