While I use here-strings more than here-docs by a huge margin I would also like to not negatively impact people using the former a lot, so in light of that I'd like to suggest going with Stefan's suggestion, importantly because it's also totally valid to trip on '<<-' and '<<[A-Za-z]', whereas here-strings are always only '<<<'. Also '< wrote: > Stefan Monnier writes: > > >> A default emacs install will complete with "EOF\n\nEOF" (in a more > >> clever fashion so the rest of the line is undisturbed), and place the > >> cursor on the new blank line. This is incorrect behaviour, as it > >> breaks entry of BASH here-strings when the user's intent is > >> still ambiguous. > > > > Thanks for your report. Indeed, sh-mode does not know about > > here-strings at all. I guess waiting for "<<[^<]" is a good idea. > > Patches welcome for Emacs-23.2. > > I've now made it look for a space after the << -- that feels more > natural than << and then some arbitrary character. And as far as I can > tell, all the shells handle > > foo < EOF > > and > > foo << EOF > EOF > > identically. > > -- > (domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.) > bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no >