Then the shell execute function is worthless. I had used it for opening the browser and also for opening files with an external program, or to open them in the explorer, i guess i will have to remove all use of that function from my scripts. 2015-03-29 9:35 GMT-06:00 Eli Zaretskii : > > Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 17:39:38 -0600 > > From: Mario Valencia > > > > to reproduce it, i create a small emtpy html document. then i evaluate > the > > following expression: > > > > (dotimes (i 100) (browse-url-of-file)) > > > > This causes emacs to start opening the file using google chrome. In the > task > > manager, i can see emacs' memory usage go up by about 5 megabytes each > time a > > tab is opened. When it opens about 30 tabs, emacs is using 138 megabytes > of > > memory, and it gives the error below. > > the translation is something like this: "ShellExecute failed: Storage > space > > insufficient to process this command" > > My harddrive has enough storage space btw. > > (The error is not about disk storage, it's about reserving the address > space in virtual memory.) > > FWIW, I don't see such a large memory increase when I reproduce this, > I see something around 1MB, sometimes 1.5MB. But I didn't try on > Windows 8. > > Anyway, Emacs doesn't allocate any memory when it calls the > ShellExecute function, so I see no way we could leak something here. > > My guess would be that invoking ShellExecute causes Windows to start a > thread in the context of the Emacs process, and reserve 8MB of stack > space for that thread. (On one of 3 systems I tried your recipe, I > actually saw a thread per invocation, each thread was running some > function inside shlwapi.dll, the shared library which implements the > ShellExecute API.) The memory actually used by that thread for its > stack is much smaller than 8MB, of course, but Windows attempts to > reserve 8MB of address space for its stack. > > The 8MB figure comes from the way we link Emacs: we need such a large > stack due to regular expressions, stack-based Lisp objects, and GC > which is deeply recursive. By default, each thread reserves the same > stack space as the program to which it belongs. For threads we launch > in Emacs, we override the default 8MB stack space by a much smaller > value, but we have no such control on threads that Windows itself > starts on behalf of the Emacs process. > > The error message and the failure to launch too many browser tabs are > caused by the fact that Emacs itself reserves about 1.7GB of the > address space for its memory management, leaving only a small portion > of the 2GB address space that 32-bit programs can use on Windows. > Start enough threads with 8MB stack reservation, and you will run out > of address space. > > Emacs 25 uses a different memory allocation scheme for buffers and > strings, which allows to avoid the large memory reservation, so at > least the out-of-memory error should happen there only after many more > ShellExecute invocations (because threads started by Windows on behalf > of ShellExecute will still reserve 8MB of memory for their stack). > > If someone knows how to force threads started by Windows to reserve > less memory, without also lowering the stack space available to Emacs > itself (i.e. its main thread), please tell. Otherwise, I guess we > will have to live with this limitation on Windows. > >