all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Encoding of latex files
@ 2008-01-24 11:57 Alain Muls
From: Alain Muls @ 2008-01-24 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs list

Hello,

I use Emacs & Latex for course preparation. In one of my courses I use
the answer.sty package which allows me to integrate the question and
answer at the same place, while on output the answer will be at the end
of the coursebook. I switched to UTF-8 encoding since last year and
while reading the PDF output I remark that in titles for the solutions,
no accented chars (either é or \'e) cannot be used. Is there a way to
have the files generated by the answer package be in UTF-8 and have the
accented chars available. Perhaps it is not a question of encoding, but
for the moment it is my best guess.

A+/Alain

[-- Attachment #2: alain_muls.vcf --]

begin:vcard
fn:Alain Muls
n:Muls;Alain
org:RMA;CISS
adr:;;Renaissance Avenue 30;Brussems;;1000;Belgium
email;internet:alain.muls@telenet.be
title:Prof
tel;work:+32.2.7376340
tel;cell:+32.477.675091
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
version:2.1
end:vcard

* Re: Encoding of latex files
@ 2008-01-24 13:36 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-01-24 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alain Muls; +Cc: emacs list

Am 24.01.2008 um 12:57 schrieb Alain Muls:

> Is there a way to have the files generated by the answer package be
> in UTF-8 and have the accented chars available

Are the LaTeX correctly encoded? The modeline gives a pointer near
its left edge. You can click on that marker with the mouse pointer ...
Is the LaTeX file's preamble correctly set up for UTF-8 or "utf8x"
input and T1 font encodings? I have not much experience with UTF-8
input encoding in LaTeX, and this experience is mostly bad, that I
keep using XeTeX, an UTF-8 native TeX system that can use TeX and
system fonts (http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.php?
site_id=nrsi&item_id=XeTeX&). Have you thought of using the textcomp
package? Do you use babel?

I found LaTeX classes that have problems with some content. Switching
to modern T1 font encoding can be helpful, too. For a proof: try some
simple and basic report or article or book with just some paragraphs
of senseless text and many, many header and sub-header and sub-sub-
header lines with plenty of accented French characters. If you can't
achieve this basic task, then your TeX system is 15 or 20 years too
old or your preamble is bad. If you see all accented chars, then
answer.sty might be bad.

(I can send you privately a preamble that deals with pdfTeX, XeTeX,
DVI and PDF output and the proper UTF-8 input encoding.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

The human animal differs from the lesser primates in his passion for
lists of "Ten Best."
				– H. Allen Smith