all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* bug#3768: org: C-c C-x C-l:  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2009-07-06 20:47 David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-07-06 20:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-pretest-bug

- Start Emacs (23 series, recent build),
- M-x org-mode  (for the scratch buffer),
- insert  $\frac{3}{a*b-3}$
- press C-c C-x C-l
- Unhelpful error message "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"

This goes away when the buffer is given a buffer-file-name.

The error message should be either helpful or not appear at all - org-
mode should use a temporary directory instead of the documents
directory to store temporary files in order to render LaTeX content.

* bug#3768: org: C-c C-x C-l:  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2009-07-07  0:46 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2009-07-07  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Reitter; +Cc: emacs-pretest-bug, 3768

David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:

> - Start Emacs (23 series, recent build),
> - M-x org-mode  (for the scratch buffer),
> - insert  $\frac{3}{a*b-3}$
> - press C-c C-x C-l
> - Unhelpful error message "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
>
> This goes away when the buffer is given a buffer-file-name.
>
> The error message should be either helpful or not appear at all - org-
> mode should use a temporary directory instead of the documents directory
> to store temporary files in order to render LaTeX content.

Can you try the latest version of org-mode and report?

  http://orgmode.org/org-snapshot.tar.gz

 Bastien

* bug#3768: org: C-c C-x C-l:  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2009-07-07  0:59   ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-07-07  0:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: 3768

On Jul 6, 2009, at 8:46 PM, Bastien wrote:

> David Reitter <david.reitter@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> - Start Emacs (23 series, recent build),
>> - M-x org-mode  (for the scratch buffer),
>> - insert  $\frac{3}{a*b-3}$
>> - press C-c C-x C-l
>> - Unhelpful error message "Wrong type argument: stringp, nil"
>>
>> This goes away when the buffer is given a buffer-file-name.
>>
>> The error message should be either helpful or not appear at all -
>> org-
>> mode should use a temporary directory instead of the documents
>> directory
>> to store temporary files in order to render LaTeX content.
>
> Can you try the latest version of org-mode and report?
>
>  http://orgmode.org/org-snapshot.tar.gz

The original error is gone but now I'm seeing something very, very
strange, as shown in the screenshot:  the wrong images show up in my
header line.
The header line image is this:

(image :type png :file "/Users/dr/ae.git/nextstep/Aquamacs.app/
Contents/Resources/site-lisp/tabbar/close-tab.png" :ascent
center :margin 0))

and it switched to the wrong image just after I did C-c C-x C-l for
teh second time.

In fact, I then notice that ALL images are replaced with the "redo"
image.
Now that shouldn't be...

Also, it tells me to press C-c C-c to remove the images (which aren't
there), and when I try this, it tells me that nothing useful can be
done at this point.   Maybe that's intended, since the image isn't
shown.

(This is with Aquamacs/Cocoa, a branch synced with Emacs 23, but that
shouldn't make a difference.)

- David

ps.: Please remember not to cc emacs-pretest-bug.  That may create
another bug report.

[-- Attachment #1.2: PastedGraphic-1.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 18005 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #1.3: PastedGraphic-2.png --]
[-- Type: image/png, Size: 10399 bytes --]

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* bug#3768: org: C-c C-x C-l:  Wrong type argument: stringp, nil
@ 2009-07-07  1:07     ` David Reitter
From: David Reitter @ 2009-07-07  1:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: 3768