all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
To: "'Jeff Weiss'" <jweiss@redhat.com>, <jeffrey.m.weiss@gmail.com>,
	<help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: RE: migrating from ido to icicles
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2012 07:45:17 -0800	[thread overview]

> >> The only way to say "I accept the currently highlighted
> >> directory candidate, drill down to start completing the
> >> next one" is M-SPC.
> >
> > Actually, `M-TAB' does what you want here only because it

I meant `M-SPC', the same as what you mentioned; sorry.

> > does "word" completion, which also moves the cursor to the
> > end of the completion.  It is that cursor movement that
> > switches from cycling back to completing.
>
> "M-TAB (translated from <M-tab>) runs the command
> complete-symbol, which is an interactive compiled Lisp
> function in `bindings.el'."
>
> "M-SPC runs the command icicle-prefix-word-complete, which is an
> interactive compiled Lisp function in `icicles-mcmd.el'."

Yes, I meant `M-SPC'.

> What happens for me is, if I hit M-TAB,...

It tries to complete your input as a symbol name.

> This is different than what either M-SPC or C-e does, they both appear
> to only change the default-directory and the candidates, no candidate
> shows in the minibuffer.  That's what I want.

Yep.  Sorry about the typo & confusion.

> I like the behavior of M-SPC or C-e but I prefer to use M-TAB
> key to get that behavior.  Should I just rebind it?

Sure.  But you will likely find at some point that you want a key (some key) to
complete symbol names (e.g. Lisp symbols, when you use `M-:').  `M-TAB' is the
key for this in general in Emacs.