all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* problem running graphical GNU Emacs 24
@ 2011-11-25  2:58 Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2011-11-25  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

summary: I can start emacs 24 in a terminal, but not graphically.

details: I'm running

$ lsb_release -ds
Linux Mint Debian Edition # Update Pack 3
$ uname -rv
2.6.39-2-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Jul 5 02:51:22 UTC 2011

I can currently run

$ emacs --version
GNU Emacs 23.3.1

both graphically (in an X window) and in a shell (terminal window), and want to be able to run emacs 24 both ways.

I backed up my sources.list, appended the debian emacs-snapshot repositories, added their keys, and updated:

$ diff /etc/apt/sources.list_20111122_0736 /etc/apt/sources.list
15a16,18
> # for emacs 24 stable: see http://emacs.naquadah.org/
> deb http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
> deb-src http://emacs.naquadah.org/ stable/
$ wget -q -O - http://emacs.naquadah.org/key.gpg | sudo apt-key add -
OK
$ sudo aptitude update ; sudo aptitude -s full-upgrade

I then installed emacs for use in X and shell:

$ sudo aptitude install emacs-snapshot-el emacs-snapshot-gtk emacs-snapshot-nox
$ which emacs
/usr/bin/emacs
$ ls -alh /usr/bin/emacs*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  23 Aug 14 22:53 /usr/bin/emacs -> /etc/alternatives/emacs
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root   9 Aug 14 22:53 /usr/bin/emacs23 -> emacs23-x
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11M Apr 10  2011 /usr/bin/emacs23-x
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  29 Aug 14 22:53 /usr/bin/emacsclient -> /etc/alternatives/emacsclient
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 21K Apr 10  2011 /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs23
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 26K Nov 21 09:53 /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root  32 Nov 22 08:10 /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot -> /etc/alternatives/emacs-snapshot
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12M Nov 21 09:53 /usr/bin/emacs-snapshot-nox

When I run

$ emacs --debug-init &

I get the graphical/X version of emacs, in a new window. But when I run

$ emacs-snapshot --debug-init &

I get

> [1]+  Stopped                 emacs-snapshot --debug-init

which, after `fg 1`, runs emacs 24 in the terminal. I expected, instead, the same behavior as emacs 23.

What must I do to start a graphical instance of emacs 24?

TIA, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com>

* Re: problem running graphical GNU Emacs 24
@ 2011-11-25 15:44 ` XeCycle
From: XeCycle @ 2011-11-25 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> writes:

[...]

> I then installed emacs for use in X and shell:
>
> $ sudo aptitude install emacs-snapshot-el emacs-snapshot-gtk emacs-snapshot-nox

I guess the -gtk one is built with configure option
`--with-x-toolkit=gtk'.  A graphical one can always run in a
terminal, I guess the -nox one is not needed.

--
Carl Lei (XeCycle)
Department of Physics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University

[-- Attachment #2: Type: application/pgp-signature, Size: 489 bytes --]

* Re: problem running graphical GNU Emacs 24
@ 2011-11-25 16:22 ` Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2011-11-25 16:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

summary: on debian, installing both packages

emacs-snapshot-gtk emacs-snapshot-nox

causes the latter to disable the former. Is this working as designed, or a bug? If a bug, where to report?

Tom Roche Thu, 24 Nov 2011 21:58:18 -0500
>> [After]

>> $ sudo aptitude install emacs-snapshot-el emacs-snapshot-gtk emacs-snapshot-nox

>> When I run

>> $ emacs --debug-init &

>> I get the graphical/X version of emacs [23], in a new window.
>> But when I run

>> $ emacs-snapshot --debug-init &

>> I get

>> > [1]+  Stopped                 emacs-snapshot --debug-init

>> which, after `fg 1`, runs emacs 24 in the terminal. I expected,
>> instead, the same behavior as emacs 23.

>> What must I do to start a graphical instance of emacs 24?

XeCycle Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:44:32 +0800
> I guess the -gtk one is built with configure option
> `--with-x-toolkit=gtk'. A graphical one can always run in a
> terminal, I guess the -nox one is not needed.

And it does indeed seem that installing package=*-nox somehow disables
one's ability to run graphically:

$ sudo aptitude remove emacs-snapshot-nox
>   emacs-snapshot-nox
>   emacs-snapshot-gtk: Depends: emacs-snapshot but it is not going to be installed.
> The following actions will resolve these dependencies:
>      Remove the following packages:
> 1)     emacs-snapshot-gtk
> Accept this solution? [Y/n/q/?] Y
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   emacs-snapshot-gtk{a} emacs-snapshot-nox
$ sudo aptitude install emacs-snapshot-gtk
>   emacs-snapshot{a} emacs-snapshot-gtk

And after that,

$ emacs-snapshot-gtk --debug-init &

performs as expected. That seems to me like a bug: is it? If so, where
to report (e.g., to emacs, to the package maintainers, other)?

@ 2011-11-25 16:25   ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-11-25 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Tom Roche

Am 25.11.2011 um 17:22 schrieb Tom Roche:

> Is this working as designed

That's my opinion. Otherwise you would have to use two different names to invoke any of the Emacsen. BTW, what's the advantage of having emacs-snapshot-nox and emacs-snapshot-gtk? Doesn't the latter show, if wanted, a behaviour like the former?

--
Greetings

  Pete                           <]
             o        __o         |__    o       HPV, the real
    ___o    /I       -\<,         |o \  -\),-%     high speed!
___/\ /\___./ \___...O/ O____.....`-O-'-()--o_________________

* Re: problem running graphical GNU Emacs 24
@ 2011-11-25 17:00     ` Tom Roche
From: Tom Roche @ 2011-11-25 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

XeCycle Fri, 25 Nov 2011 23:44:32 +0800
>>> A graphical one can always run in a terminal, I guess the -nox one
>>> is not needed.

Tom Roche Fri, Nov 25, 2011 at 11:22 AM
>> And indeed installing package=*-nox somehow disables one's ability to
>> run graphically:

>> $ sudo aptitude remove emacs-snapshot-nox
>> $ sudo aptitude install emacs-snapshot-gtk

>> And after that,

>> $ emacs-snapshot-gtk --debug-init &

>> performs as expected. [Is this working as designed?]

Peter Dyballa Fri, 25 Nov 2011 17:25:06 +0100
> That's my opinion. Otherwise you would have to use two different
> names to invoke any of the Emacsen.

No: packages often install files with names that don't exactly match
(particularly, names that are subsets of) the package name.

> what's the advantage of having emacs-snapshot-nox and
> emacs-snapshot-gtk? Doesn't the latter show, if wanted,
> a behaviour like the former?

No, that's my point in this thread. I want to be able to run emacs in
both a terminal window and an X window, so I thought I should install
both *-nox (to run in shell) and *-gtk (to run graphically). But after
installing both, I could only run in shell. After removing *-nox, I
can now run in both. This seems to me to be a bug: I don't believe
installing *-nox should disable the ability to run graphically,
*without informing the user at install-time*. Am I missing something?

@ 2011-11-25 19:11       ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2011-11-25 19:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Tom Roche

Am 25.11.2011 um 18:00 schrieb Tom Roche:

> Am I missing something?

Three things, approximately: GNU Emacs is always installed as "emacs" (only in Mac OS X you can meet an Emacs.app, inherited from the NeXT), GNU Emacs can be invoked with -nw or --no-window-system; and there is Ghostscript (plus some games, ImageMagick, Gnuplot, and, and, and) which can be installed either as an X client or as a terminal only/command line programme.

--
Greetings

  Pete

A designer knows he has arrived at perfection not when there is no longer anything to add, but when there is no longer anything to take away.
				– Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

* Re: problem running graphical GNU Emacs 24
@ 2011-11-26  8:37       ` Jonathan Groll
From: Jonathan Groll @ 2011-11-26  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs, Tom Roche

On Fri, 25 Nov 2011 12:00:42 -0500, Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@pobox.com> wrote:
> No, that's my point in this thread. I want to be able to run emacs in
> both a terminal window and an X window, so I thought I should install
> both *-nox (to run in shell) and *-gtk (to run graphically). But after
> installing both, I could only run in shell. After removing *-nox, I
> can now run in both. This seems to me to be a bug: I don't believe
> installing *-nox should disable the ability to run graphically,
> *without informing the user at install-time*. Am I missing something?

The -nox version is intended for servers without X - it won't pull in
unwanted X packages and libraries upon installing.

I think therefore that it is a bug that it allowed you to install both
versions.

It sounds like you want the regular package which gives you both the
GTK and shell versions, and to start in shell pass in -nw.

Cheers,
Jonathan
--
jjg: Jonathan J. Groll : groll co za