I was trying to write a keyboard macro that included using grep and the first hit that it found. The problem was that I had to wait for the grep to finish. I'm not sure why but (sit-for 1) didn't work. I started looking for a built in way to wait for an asynchronous command to complete and discovered that I had written one long long time ago in a galaxy far far away. > (defun wait-for-async-process ( proc ) > "Wait for PROC to finish" > (while (null (eq (process-status proc) 'exit)) > (accept-process-output))) I went ahead and looked for something like it in the distribution but didn't see it. I'm curious if I overlooked it. pedz