all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
From: Joe Trivers via help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
To: <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: emacs won't start interactively
Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 17:30:11 +0000	[thread overview]

From: help-gnu-emacs On Behalf Of Eli Zaretskii
Sent: 28 May, 2019 10:48 AM

>> Date: Tue, 28 May 2019 01:09:23 +0000
>> From: Joe Trivers via help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
>>
>> Any further thoughts about what might be happening here? And on how gdb could be making it work correctly?
>
> I'd have a good look at the environment variables you have set.  Are
> some of them Emacs related, perhaps?  Any suspicious ones?  Maybe post
> the whole list of them here, perhaps someone will spot something.

Nothing looks relevant, other than PATH. Is there a way in cmd.exe (like env in bash) to get such a list?

> Also, do you see anything in the Windows' Event Logger, under
> Application, around the times when you start Emacs and it immediately
> exits?

You may have something there.

Log Name: Application
Source: CbDefense
Information: The application "C:\gnu\emacs-26.1\bin\emacs-26.1.exe" attempted to inject code into the process "C:\GNU\emacs-26.1\bin\emacs-26.1.exe" by calling the function "SetWindowsHookExA". The operation was blocked and the application terminated by Confer.

CbDefense is Carbon Black Antivirus, mandated by our IT department. It also runs on the laptop where emacs 26.1 works properly. Perhaps there's a way to whitelist emacs?
Incidentally, when I typed the command into the Windows command prompt I used capital letters for "GNU".

HAH! I renamed the C:\GNU directory to C:\gnu (in lower case) and now it works properly. Maybe CbDefense lowercases one string but not the other?
And, yes, the "gnu" directory name is in lower case on the laptop where emacs has been working since last year. [facepalm]

Thanks for all your help. Who'd'a thunk it?  /Joe
The content of this message is APPLIED MATERIALS CONFIDENTIAL. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify me, delete this email and do not use or distribute this email.