all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* CR character insertion with M-x compile
@ 2008-12-24 21:28 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2008-12-24 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear all,

I am using emacs version :

GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2008-12-23

under windows 2000, which I compiled from CVS source (note that the CVS
source I used actually date back from October 2008, the compile time is
more recent only because I re-build with Xpm to have coloured icons).

I recently compiled a texi file (semantic.texi) by typing

M-x compile

and then

makeinfo semantic.texi -o semantic.info

as a compile command line.

If I do this with this Emacs version 23.xxx, then CR characters are
added to the .info output (which mean that Emacs added them to the
input, as they are not present in the file semantic.texi, and that
texinfo does not support CRLF but only LF), whereas when I do this with
Emacs 22.xxx there is no such issue.

Eric M. Ludflam  (from semantic email list) told
me that Eli wrote to him that there was such a bug with Emacs 23. I
would like to confirm whether this is this bug, or something else.

Best regards,
    Vincent.

Inédit ! Des Emoticônes Déjantées! Installez les dans votre Messenger !
http://www.ilovemessenger.fr/Emoticones/EmoticonesDejantees.aspx

* Re: CR character insertion with M-x compile
@ 2008-12-25  1:28 ` Jason Rumney
From: Jason Rumney @ 2008-12-25  1:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: emacs-devel

Vincent Belaïche wrote:
> If I do this with this Emacs version 23.xxx, then CR characters are
> added to the .info output (which mean that Emacs added them to the
> input, as they are not present in the file semantic.texi, and that
> texinfo does not support CRLF but only LF), whereas when I do this with
> Emacs 22.xxx there is no such issue.
>
> Eric M. Ludflam (from semantic email list) told
> me that Eli wrote to him that there was such a bug with Emacs 23. I
> would like to confirm whether this is this bug, or something else.

Kind of. Bug#876 is to do with display of some info pages, not
generation of them. And as far as I can tell, makeinfo itself outputs
DOS line ends on Windows, so texinfo does support CRLF, at least on
Windows. If you view the info pages in Emacs 22 or the standalone info
reader, does the problem disappear?

* Re: CR character insertion with M-x compile
@ 2008-12-25 21:20 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2008-12-25 21:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel