all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Problem with window-size-fixed
@ 2009-07-25 20:24 Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2009-07-25 20:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Dear EMACS experts,
A problem concerning window-size-fixed was reported on newsgroupfr.comp.applications.emacs
(http://groups.google.fr/group/fr.comp.applications.emacs/browse_thread/thread/f617026a5906fcd3#)
To see the problem put the following code into a file
test.el and launch emacs with: emacs -q -l test.el

;----------------------------------------------
(setq inhibit-startup-message t)
(split-window-vertically)
(split-window-vertically)
(split-window-horizontally)
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer1"))
(select-window (next-window))
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer2"))
(select-window (next-window))
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer3"))
(select-window (next-window))
(switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer4"))
(select-window (previous-window))
(enlarge-window (- 5 (window-height)))
(setq window-size-fixed t)
;----------------------------------------------

I have tested this with the very latest CVS version GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2009-07-25  (sorry again for the disturbance and thanks to Eli for help)
and the same problem happens.
So what happens is that I correctly get the following window partitionning:
Buffer 1 | Buffer 2
---------+---------
      Buffer 3
-------------------
      Buffer 4
-------------------

with buf 1 and 2 of 7 rows, buf 3 of 4 rows, and buf 4 taking the remainder (that is 38
rows for me).
The issue is that buffer 3 is supposed to be fixed-size. This is true if you use `C-u N C-x ^' for re-dimensionning, but it is not true if you try to do it by mouse, in that case buffer 4 is fixed-size instead.

Best regards,
    Vincent.

Téléphonez gratuitement à tous vos proches avec Windows Live Messenger  !  Téléchargez-le maintenant !
http://www.windowslive.fr/messenger/1.asp

* Re: Problem with window-size-fixed
@ 2009-07-26  9:44 ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2009-07-26  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > A problem concerning window-size-fixed was reported on newsgroupfr.comp.applications.emacs
 > (http://groups.google.fr/group/fr.comp.applications.emacs/browse_thread/thread/f617026a5906fcd3#)
 > To see the problem put the following code into a file
 > test.el and launch emacs with: emacs -q -l test.el
 >
 > ;----------------------------------------------
 > (setq inhibit-startup-message t)
 > (split-window-vertically)
 > (split-window-vertically)
 > (split-window-horizontally)
 > (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer1"))
 > (select-window (next-window))
 > (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer2"))
 > (select-window (next-window))
 > (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer3"))
 > (select-window (next-window))
 > (switch-to-buffer (get-buffer-create "buffer4"))
 > (select-window (previous-window))
 > (enlarge-window (- 5 (window-height)))
 > (setq window-size-fixed t)
 > ;----------------------------------------------
 >
 > I have tested this with the very latest CVS version GNU Emacs 23.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.0.2195) of 2009-07-25  (sorry again for the disturbance and thanks to Eli for help)
 > and the same problem happens.
 > So what happens is that I correctly get the following window partitionning:
 > Buffer 1 | Buffer 2
 > ---------+---------
 >       Buffer 3
 > -------------------
 >       Buffer 4
 > -------------------
 >
 > with buf 1 and 2 of 7 rows, buf 3 of 4 rows, and buf 4 taking the remainder (that is 38
 > rows for me).
 > The issue is that buffer 3 is supposed to be fixed-size. This is true if you use `C-u N C-x ^' for re-dimensionning, but it is not true if you try to do it by mouse, in that case buffer 4 is fixed-size instead.

FWIW this is a bug in `adjust-window-trailing-edge' which was already
reported as bug#3689, compare

http://emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3689

Please have a look.

Thanks, martin

* RE: Problem with window-size-fixed
@ 2009-07-29 17:45 ` Vincent Belaïche
From: Vincent Belaïche @ 2009-07-29 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-devel

Hello,
So,  what shall I do with this ? Shall I submit a bug, or is that a known problem that will be solved with some redesigning of window handling along latest discussion on this email reflector ?
   Vincent.

From: vincent.b.1@hotmail.fr
To: emacs-devel@gnu.org
Date: Sat, 25 Jul 2009 22:24:26 +0200
Subject: Problem with window-size-fixed

[...]

Discutez sur Messenger où que vous soyez ! Mettez Messenger sur votre mobile !
Découvrez toutes les possibilités de communication avec vos proches
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowslive/default.aspx

* Re: Problem with window-size-fixed
@ 2009-07-30  8:56   ` martin rudalics
From: martin rudalics @ 2009-07-30  8:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Belaïche; +Cc: emacs-devel

 > So, what shall I do with this ? Shall I submit a bug, or is that a
 > known problem that will be solved with some redesigning of window
 > handling along latest discussion on this email reflector ?

It would be helpful if you sent your recipe to produce that bug in a
reply to

3689@emacsbugs.donarmstrong.com

so that when we eventually fix that bug we can easily check that the
behavior you describe is covered by the fix as well.

Thank you, martin