all messages for Emacs-related lists mirrored at yhetil.org
* Setting size of frame
@ 2023-07-12 11:05 uzibalqa
From: uzibalqa @ 2023-07-12 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: uzibalqa via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

I want to set the size of a frame by calling a function.

Although I have seen the following, I am not sure whether using add-to-list is
the appropriate choice.  I only want the changes to happen in the working frame.

(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width  . 90))
(add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 40))

* Re: Setting size of frame
@ 2023-07-12 12:47 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2023-07-12 12:47 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: uzibalqa; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

    uzibalqa> I want to set the size of a frame by calling a function.

    uzibalqa> Although I have seen the following, I am not sure whether using add-to-list is
    uzibalqa> the appropriate choice.  I only want the changes to happen in the working frame.

    uzibalqa> (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(width  . 90))
    uzibalqa> (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(height . 40))

That modifies the default frame geometry, which will get applied to
new frames. To change the size of an existing frame, use:

     (modify-frame-parameters nil '((width . 90) (height . 40)))

Robert